Ration Book Sheffield

Anybody remember whalemeat? That was an addition to the wartime diet that didn't seem all that popular. Never had any myself as far as I remember but Vera Lynn had a good song in which it was mentioned.

Never had any Whalemeat but i remember the chippy on Beulah Road started using Whale oil in chip pans and it was awful.

Subsequently the Queues got longer at Tommy Fryers opposite the bottom of Parkside Road.

Happy days! PopT

Another shop I recollect being dragged to in the 50s the Maypole across the road from the Shakespeare at Hillsborough Corner,my mother would buy butter there cut from a huge block and wrapped in greaseproof paper,also sugar measured into paper bags.Then on to the fishmonger bang on the corner,I remember all the dead rabbits hanging up in the window,you never see this now,I think the stall was open at the front,I could be wrong it was a long time ago.Where the Yorkshire Bank is now there was a petrol station,I can remember further back when where that was a low stretch of grassland ran down to the river behind a drystone waist high wall,total recall or what!.

Another shop I recollect being dragged to in the 50s the Maypole across the road from the Shakespeare at Hillsborough Corner,my mother would buy butter there cut from a huge block and wrapped in greaseproof paper,also sugar measured into paper bags.Then on to the fishmonger bang on the corner,I remember all the dead rabbits hanging up in the window,you never see this now,I think the stall was open at the front,I could be wrong it was a long time ago.Where the Yorkshire Bank is now there was a petrol station,I can remember further back when where that was a low stretch of grassland ran down to the river behind a drystone waist high wall,total recall or what!.
That reight lad about the petrol station it were Fred Wilsons,there was a few shops in Hillsbro like the ones you mentioned.do you remember the church where Wilko is now and the little fruit shop at the side of it. There was a small cobblers shop where Beres is now and next door was Sidall and Reynolds farm and livestock auctioneers.

That reight lad about the petrol station it were Fred Wilsons,there was a few shops in Hillsbro like the ones you mentioned.do you remember the church where Wilko is now and the little fruit shop at the side of it. There was a small cobblers shop where Beres is now and next door was Sidall and Reynolds farm and livestock auctioneers.

Yes I was always in the little fruit shop with ma,at the entrance to the Blue Ball car park do you remember the big stone built house right opposite?.Were Sidall and Reynolds near the iron bridge opposite the Bridge Inn?,if so that's were my granddad used to take me to collect animal food for our smallholding,it was at the riverside,I can still recall the smells of hay and different foods its funny how you never forget even after 60yrs.One unique smell was when the blacksmith burned the metal shoes to the horses hooves,we used to have this done at a blacksmiths which was situated at the bottom of the old Admiral Rodney car park where granddad had a few whilst waiting!.:cool:;):)

Hey up Tuppy, the stone house used to have an arch way through it and belonged to a doctor.Sidall and reynolds was opposite the telephone exchange, the blacksmith was Harry Fletcher,i still have some old shoes he gave me he was a brilliant craftsman,unfortunatly he lost his life in a car accident at Hathersage.The only animal feed supplier i know of was at the Mill at Malin bridge,i dont no of the bridge in down there at Owlerton.

you dont mean the freemasons then?

Could be Ive mixed up the name, you know where I mean though?.Don,t forget I,m an old boy now and my powers are fading due to my brain being soaked in Stones best bitter for half a century!.:help::confused::huh:

Archived