Ration Book Sheffield

Could be Ive mixed up the name, you know where I mean though?.Don,t forget I,m an old boy now and my powers are fading due to my brain being soaked in Stones best bitter for half a century!.:help::confused::huh:

Whitey says what brain, he still ant forgiven thi for telling him the wrong answer at school,

Teacher

What is the name for the female version of Monks?

Tha told him to say Monkeys an he gorra clip.

• 2 weeks later...
You've certainly got the rations right OT. I've never been one to turn my nose up at anything since those days. I remember the tinned fish, the Snoek, everybody used to pronounce it 'Snook'. I thought it was great. I remember it was white and my grandma' did wonders with it. I'll bet it costs a fortune today, if you can get it at all.

I even used to like the Virol.

I live in Cape Town which is the home of the snoek fishing industry and it is still a very popular fish to this day. Part of the novelty is that you can buy it at a reasonable price and have it cleaned fresh from the sea at the small boat harbours. It is highly regarded when cooked on the barbecue but I've never seen the tinned product even though I was raised in Sheffield going back to early 1940.

Hi Old Tup

Was the butchers Kendalls oppositethe public toilets on Penistone Road, it was next to Balckburn's Yard. This was the shop where Mam got her meat.

Does anyone remember their Mam making Fat Cake?

That period brought up a load of unusual recipes and foodstuffs but what a time to live through.

I often think about our split family through war service and the struggle in daily life and what was it all for?

Not So Happy Days! PopT

My mum used to make fat rascals which were made of pastry with sultanas. Maybe they are the same as fat cakes.

My brother used to do errands for the neighbours and once lost somebody's ration book. He daren't show his face for ages as the neighbour thought my mum had kept them for our family

I still have my mum's ration book for Burgons grocers. I remember they had biscuits loose in large silver tins ranged along the front of the counter. And an enormous (to my little eyes) bacon slicing machine. It used to fascinate me watching it in operation. I think cheese and butter were in large slabs, with a portion cut off and wrapped in greaseproof paper for customers.

I live in Cape Town which is the home of the snoek fishing industry and it is still a very popular fish to this day. Part of the novelty is that you can buy it at a reasonable price and have it cleaned fresh from the sea at the small boat harbours. It is highly regarded when cooked on the barbecue but I've never seen the tinned product even though I was raised in Sheffield going back to early 1940.

I've got a theory about tinned Snoek. I reckon it was so good that the powers that be ( of the day) decided that it was too good for the poor folk.

I've got a theory about tinned Snoek. I reckon it was so good that the powers that be ( of the day) decided that it was too good for the poor folk.

thought i'd eaten all war time fish but cant say i've ever even heard of Snoek almost 80 and still learning:confused::confused:

@Texas. Maybe it was too costly in terms of ration coupons if that makes any sense. I don't eat fish so my mom would never have given me any even if she got some. Incidentally snoek is pronounced to rhyme with "snuck".

@ Flyer. I believe it was a big export from RSA during the war years but I've never even seen a can of it unlike say, bully beef, from the Great War which seems to turn up quite regularly.

---------- Post added 08-06-2013 at 19:10 ----------

Texas. If you are interested there is a nice article on snoek in the food supplement to the Sunday Times of 2/6/13. Interesting to note a 4kg snoek costs ± $3.00. Web ref. is http://www.timeslive.co.za

• 2 weeks later...

How does $3 South African work out in British money?

I looked at an article about Rick Stein the fish cook today, in it there's a mention of a curry with the ingredient goats hooves.

So OK so far, not to everybody's taste. But does anybody remember Cowheel stew?

I was only a kid when I had that, it was during the war and it was one of those dishes that 'stuck to your ribs'. Really good stuff.

How does $3 South African work out in British money?

I looked at an article about Rick Stein the fish cook today, in it there's a mention of a curry with the ingredient goats hooves.

So OK so far, not to everybody's taste. But does anybody remember Cowheel stew?

I was only a kid when I had that, it was during the war and it was one of those dishes that 'stuck to your ribs'. Really good stuff.

Apologies Texas. I tend to quote in US$ or GBP as few people outside RSA are familiar with our currency of Rands. You are looking at about 2 British pounds for a 4kg fish which would feed six people very nicely.

I remember eating cow heel & beef stew up until my mum passing away 4 yrs ago. Some of her other dishes were beasts heart, udder, brawn (made from stewed sheeps head), tripe & onions - but the one I would never touch or try was "chitterling & bag" - She used to say "if your hungry lady you'll eat it" - but I never could

Cheers M'dwears

Archived