Ration Book Sheffield

I remember eating cow heel & beef stew up until my mum passing away 4 yrs ago. Some of her other dishes were beasts heart, udder, brawn (made from stewed sheeps head), tripe & onions - but the one I would never touch or try was "chitterling & bag" - She used to say "if your hungry lady you'll eat it" - but I never could

Cheers M'dwears

Chitterling has a wonderfull taste full of flavour unlike any thing i've ever had,now tripe which i also love was often used in the same breath as cow heel it was always a tripe and cow heel shop,i still make brawn but mine is made from smoke pork hocks little vinegar salt &pepper yum yum

P S dont understand ration book Sheffield we did have ration books in the rest of U.K :hihi::hihi::hihi:

We kept hens during the war, neighbours gave us their egg ration coupons which we used to get hen food & we supplied them with eggs. The extra eggs we got we exchanged for butter, tea etc. We also kept rabbits, we had roasted rabbit for Xmas dinner, when I told my Granddaughter about it she was horrified that we had eaten a rabbit.

I do remember Ration Books, I can remember going to the butchers and taking one having been told to "don't lose it" but can't remember what happened to them....I DO have my identity card though still from 1942.....

I don't think fresh fish was ever rationed to my knowledge. We ate a lot of fish and chips. You could get spam off the ration. I was in the navy from 1949, and would bring home Cadbury's Quality Street from Gibraltar and Malta, along with nylons for my Mom and whatever girl friend I had at the time. When I was at the Naval air station at Eglinton, near Londonderry, we would go into Buncrana, Donegal in the Republic on a Sunday morning to Ma Murphy's for an Irish breakfast loaded with sausages, bacon, eggs and tomatoes, black and white pudding.

Archived