Has anyone had their mind changed..

I was clarifying my earlier statement. An argument by someone I meet in person would be no more likely to change my opinion than an argument made anonymously on the internet. I make my opinion based on my own experiences, not someone elses.

Does that mean you have no opinion on things you haven't personally experienced?

In relation to the OP I have had my mind changed via this forum. I have also had opinions reinforced. I have managed to gather all manner of new information and found enlightenment and erudition to be abundant.

I was clarifying my earlier statement. An argument by someone I meet in person would be no more likely to change my opinion than an argument made anonymously on the internet. I make my opinion based on my own experiences, not someone elses.

Given all the things that happen in the world you can't have opinions on very much then...

I have studied discussions on the forum, along with similar discussions on other forums and out in the fantasy world outside our computers.

I began by thinking I was a Christian.

The arguments used by many "Christians" with whom I have discussed issues have changed my thinking, and I am now an atheist, convinced by the religious.

---------- Post added 16-05-2013 at 22:42 ----------

I wouldn't change my opinion based on anyone's argument. It would take real life experience to change my mind.

There are things we cannot experience in "real life"; for instance, there are those who argue that the world was miraculously created less than 10,000 years ago. My opinion on that cannot be based on my real life experience, because I wasn't then.

Yes, sometimes. If not actually 'changed' then at least seen it from another point of view. That's why I like the Forum.

However I'm sure I will continue to 'crusade' on some issues, much to some people's annoyance...

Religion:

When those who keep their particular faith insist the world is 6000 years old, brainwash

others into becoming suicide bombers, abuse children for their own fantasies and say their

deity is an all loving all caring omni-present being. The evidence is appears to be

somewhat different.

Politics:

If you are prospering within a particular political system then you will think that system is great.

If you are at struggling within a political system then regardless of the system you will think that system is awful.

Nope, never have and never will and I don't expect other people to change theirs. People try to back-up their arguments with stats but fail to realise that stats can be applied in different ways and mean different things. I suspect that the majority of trolls on here don't even believe in most of the rubbish they come up with and if they don't like the answers they are given they ignore it or try to steer the argument to well-rehearsed arguments they think they stand a chance of winning.

No, never. I wouldn't change my opinion based on a forum. It would take real life experiences to do that.

So if another poster (constructively) gave irrefutable evidence which proved that your argument/belief/position on a matter was wrong, you wouldn't accept it?

So if another poster (constructively) gave irrefutable evidence which proved that your argument/belief/position on a matter was wrong, you wouldn't accept it?

I've seen it happen - no, he doesn't accept his position is wrong even when faced with insurmountable evidence otherwise.

...by opinions posted on the Sheffield Forum?

I'm curious about this. I've noticed scanning through old posts there seems to be a "regular" few who debate continuously variations of the same subjects - religion/politics etc - and those few doggedly stick to their guns rarely (if at all) altering their opinion.

For example,

1. Have any amongst the religious been converted to athiesm, or vice versa?

I was (sort of) converted.

I never realised I was an atheist (which I have been, since birth) until discussions on here made it apparent to me that an atheist isn't necessarily believes that there are no gods. It wasn't just the SF discussion, after seeing it on here I went and looked up the history and definitions of atheism and found the SF folk to be correct.

Up until this time I'd always thought that atheism was a slightly negative thing, but it isn't. I realised I am and always have been an atheist (I think SSCSUX and FlamingJimmy were contributers).

2. Have any right-wingers shifted to the left, or vice versa?

Although I've always been a liberal but disciplined person, with left leanings, my time on the forum has made me realise there was a time when I did actually hold a few mild & harmless prejudices.

Or perhaps in less black-and-white terms, have any people with previously "concrete" views had their opinions softened - for example, those who are hard-line about immigration/unemployment and so on - has anything written on the forum made you stop and think, maybe even to see that such subjects are complex and not so black-and-white?

Or are the endless debates, if no one alters their opinions on anything, completely pointless?

One piece of advice that would serve many well would be never jump to conclusions and don't make assumptions. There's been many a heated debate where an angry poster has made themselves look silly in this way.

Archived