Head gasket gone!

My corsa 07 plate. Only 52'00 miles SXI well looked after may i add! My head gasket went last week. Cost a small fortune to get her back on the road, but now I am paranoid aabout driving her!

Please help me understand if my car is safe to go anywhere?I would also like a comprehensive breakdown of what happened to my car? And maybe why. I have looked after that engine! Cheers Julie

Should be fine just one of those things if its been driven and cared for. on most new cars now its a none re torque gasket but that would never stop me checking at a later date.But thats my personal choice.

My corsa 07 plate. Only 52'00 miles SXI well looked after may i add! My head gasket went last week. Cost a small fortune to get her back on the road, but now I am paranoid aabout driving her!

Please help me understand if my car is safe to go anywhere?I would also like a comprehensive breakdown of what happened to my car? And maybe why. I have looked after that engine! Cheers Julie

The usual cause for a head gasket going is the engine over heating. If you have let the water in the cooling system run low, whether by neglect or a sudden leak/burst hose, this would be an example of what could cause over heating.

When the head gasket is replaced, the cyclinder head (top of engine) should be inspected to ensure that it has not warped when the engine over heated. If the head is warped it would need to be skimmed prior to refitting, otherwise the gasket can go again.

If the job has been done correctly it would be as good as it was when new.

But most garage are not that good and cut corners to save time, mating surface should be clean and reskim and torque proper , depending on how well the jobs done it can fail again soon,

Who replace the gasket?

But most garage are not that good and cut corners to save time, mating surface should be clean and reskim and torque proper , depending on how well the jobs done it can fail again soon,

Who replace the gasket?

Tarrants garage in S10. They came recommended and did both head gasket jobs.

as stated else where head gaskets are usually to do with coolant levels running low making the cylinder head overheat.

best to check level every week or so and keep it topped up.

Archived