St George flag dropped because it could offend Muslims

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10059873/Council-vetoes-flag-of-St-George-after-concerns-raised-about-links-to-Crusades.html

Another left wing do-gooder doing the nation down with political correctness, shame the local council of Radstock don't see the national flag as something to take a bit of pride in.

A local council decided against flying the flag of St George after concerns were raised that it would offend the town’s 16 Muslim residents.

Eleanor Jackson, a university lecturer, said the red and white symbol could cause upset in Radstock, Somerset, because it was used during the Crusades 1,000 years ago.

The Labour councillor voiced her concerns at a meeting called to discuss which flag should be purchased to fly atop the town's repaired civic flagpole.

She said: “My big problem is that it is offensive to some Muslims, but even more so that it has been hijacked by the far right.

and the Muslim response:

The objections raised about the flag of St George were branded “oversensitive” by the local Muslim community while the Muslim Council of Britain said England's patron saint should not be associated with “any hatred of Muslims”.

Spokeswoman Nasima Begum said: "St George needs to take his rightful place as a national symbol of inclusivity rather than a symbol of hatred.”

Rizwan Ahmed, spokesman for the Bristol Muslim Cultural Society said: "I think they are going a bit far here.

"It is political correctness going a bit too far.

"Use by the far right is one thing, but to say that Muslims are offended I don't think is correct. We understand the flag is part of this country's heritage, and in fact many many Muslims will identify as being British themselves.

"In actual fact we are normal people. We have a sense of humour and have the same concerns as everyone else – we are not just some single group."

When will the left of this country stop claiming offense on behalf of others?

Lesley Mansell, the council chair, insisted that the discussion focused primarily on buying a Union flag.

“We were presented a list of every flag we can fly as a local authority but the council agreed that we did not want to fly all of them and simply wanted to purchase our own Union Jack," she said.

“The statement made by one councillor regarding the St George’s flag was not really taken into consideration.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10059873/Council-vetoes-flag-of-St-George-after-concerns-raised-about-links-to-Crusades.html

Another left wing do-gooder doing the nation down with political correctness, shame the local council of Radstock don't see the national flag as something to take a bit of pride in.

and the Muslim response:

When will the left of this country stop claiming offence on behalf of others?

Probably never.

Its the only purpose they have in life.

Short hand for Eleanor Jackson is an idiot and we all ignore her.

The sad thing is that it will probably be her name that gets forgotten and the story will live on, blaming the muslims in some way.

Remember all those stories about baa baa black sheep being banned, hot cross buns banned? The truth about these stories are overshadowed by the initial false report and subsequent outrage.

I dont agree with her principle but I do agree that the St Georges has been tarnished & hijacked by the far right.

I also agree that that Union Flag does the same job but on a more universal scale to represent modern Britain.

However, my point is this. If it isnt illegal then you cant stop people using it. If its offensive then ban it.

If people arent breaking the law then you cant exempt it.

Simple as that.

If a group we don't like use a traditional symbol, does that mean we have to forbid its use by everyone?

I remember 65 years ago, when I was told at school that I ate like a Communist.

"What do you mean?"

"You put food in your mouth, chew it and swallow. That's what Communists do!"

So, if a bigot displays the flag of St. George, does that mean I should not be allowed to fly it?

If an Elbonian terrorist marks his victims with the sign of the patron saint of Elbonia, should this sign be banned?

(For Elbonia, see Dilbert by Scott Adams)

Archived