St George flag dropped because it could offend Muslims

There were northern states that were slave owing. Lincoln’s family owned slaves. Many thousand blacks served the Confederacy in some capacity. Thousands of men in the north fought for the south and vice versa.

---------- Post added 19-05-2013 at 20:46 ----------

In your opinion you see the Stars and Bars as just symbolic of slavery and segregation it appears. Well you're wrong.

Do you see the Union Jack as being a symbol of acquisition of foreign lands, expoitation of native peoples and the looting from those countries of cheap raw materials to further the wealth and privilege of a few in the Mother Land?.

I wouldn't..... but some would.

Unless you know and understand the identity that people associate with a flag then you are out of touch

I dont trust people who want to ban symbols because they have a bee in their bonnet how they see such symbols.

They are worse than dictators themselves.

If I saw a Nazi flag hanging outside someone's porch I would probably think whoever it was was an asshole but I wouldnt take measures to have it removed.

What we have is freedom of expression and not petty minded tyranny of the few with their own little agendas

Anyway Mississipi is now the only state that has a Confederate flag in the corner of a red. white and blue tri-color. I dare say the do gooders are besieging the Supreme Court to have the state do away with it. good luck on that!

Maybe later they can start protesting about the little Confederate flags they fly on the tombs of the southern soldiers.

It dont matter what those men died for. They must yield to the new and enlightened elite who know whats best for everyone else

You mean this.

http://jatticus.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/confederate-graves-in-arlington.jpg

Did the flag change when Ireland left the Union?

no, but the Irish tricolour was never on it, just like the Welsh dragon is not on it. The Union flag is just a celebration of the Union, between England, and Scotland.

no, but the Irish tricolour was never on it, just like the Welsh dragon is not on it. The Union flag is just a celebration of the Union, between England, and Scotland.

The Union flag consists of 3 crosses, St George, St Andrew & St Patrick. The Union between England & Scotland took place in 1707 when the flag displayed just two crosses. When Ireland joined the Union in 1801 St Patrick's cross was added giving the flag as it is today.

You're no heraldic expert are you? The tricolour came long after after St Pats cross on our flag and sybmolises peace (white) between catholic (green) and protestant (orange).

You're no heraldic expert are you? The tricolour came long after after St Pats cross on our flag and sybmolises peace (white) between catholic (green) and protestant (orange).

Correct, and the Orange, so called Loyalist, response to having this gesture of friendship extended toward them was to set fire to the Tricolour at every available opportunity.

Personally, as someone born with dual British & Irish nationality, I would favour a return to the original Irish flag which is a gold O'Neill Harp on a green background.

The Tricolour was adopted in 1919 & was always associated with Irish Republican Freedom. No connection whatsoever to the Union Flag or 'Butchers Apron' as it is sometimes called, with, it has to be said, a certain amount of justification.

I find it strange how people become so defensive about something that was an accident of birth. I was born in England to English parents. I really didn't have much say in the matter. Should I celebrate this?

As for the millions of lives lost fighting for territory and defending borders, I think humans still have some evolving to do. That doesn't take anything away from the sacrifices made to defeat tyranny, particularly in the last World War but what right do we have to carve-up the planet based on our ability to defend our acquisitions and deny people a life because they were born in the wrong country?

Lesley Mansell, the council chair, insisted that the discussion focused primarily on buying a Union flag.

“We were presented a list of every flag we can fly as a local authority but the council agreed that we did not want to fly all of them and simply wanted to purchase our own Union Jack," she said.

“The statement made by one councillor regarding the St George’s flag was not really taken into consideration.”

So, which ship or boat would they be planning on flying this flag from, precisely?

They were fighting for a state to have the right to conduct its affairs in the best way it considered to flourish. The need to feed the cotton mills of Manchester had as much to do with slavery as the plantation owners of the South. I don't think there was much anti slavery talk going on in Lancashire at the time. The Northern States had all the raw materials they needed to thrive, but precious little cotton.

Check your facts.

Britain had already abolished slavery in the empire & stopped the international slave trade, so there was a lot of anti-slavery talk going on in all parts of England at that time. Some of the cotton came from Egypt & India who had to compete with slave labour produced cotton from America, it was a big issue for Britain & the Empire at the time.

point taken I am no heladric expert, it is Wales that is the unit missing on the Union Jack. There is and never has been anything to represent it on it at all. But then I have met even Welsh people who admit that it isn't really a proper country, certainly not in the same way Scotland is. It never even had an agreed capital city, until 1955.

Archived