Asda Chaucer: Anyone else get irritated by travelator helpful advice?

One of many pet hates in this store - This is my nearest Asda, but we still prefer to go to Chapeltown!

Oh no, Asda Chapeltown is small and the layout is awful... I'd rather put up with Cross Dwellers and loud travelator announcements than go there...

Come on you're only on the travelator for 30 seconds, hardly a deal breaker!

Oh no, Asda Chapeltown is small and the layout is awful... I'd rather put up with Cross Dwellers and loud travelator announcements than go there...

Come on you're only on the travelator for 30 seconds, hardly a deal breaker!

Where shall I start with the list then? ;) ..... It's cold in there with all those freezer cabinets.......

Don't blame Asda. Sainsbury's (Archer Road) has the same inane message. But there's no such message for users of the stairs, I regret, so what should they do when the stairs end? I feel sorry for them, left there without any helpful voice over a loudspeaker

- how tannoying is that?

I see your point, but I still don't 'really' understand why they tell your to 'step off'....commence walking perhaps?...it simply chucks you off anyway!

---------- Post added 16-05-2013 at 18:44 ----------

Well....I've just got back from Asda...and I have another winge!...They've removed some of the conventional checkout lanes, and added several more 'self serve' checkout lanes with conveyor belts.

I had a trolley with perhaps a dozen items. Although I loathe and detest self-serve..self-scan checkouts, I thought I'd give it a try.

I had to call the 'assistant' four times...One to approve wine...One for no reason whatsoever...One for approval of a bag of mixed chiilies...One for no reason whatsoever, and another time for another reason which totally escapes me. Then there's the issue of Putting items or 'not' in the 'bagging area'....I was Sooooo frustrated, and annoyed...I was, for a microsecond prepared to just abandon the whole lot and go to Morrisons!....I was so annoyed!...Something an efficient checkout operator would take 20 seconds to process and take payment for, took ten or more minutes!

Sorry Asda...I'll be shopping at Morrisons from now on!....And the irritating travelator announcement only made it worse for me on my visit tonight!

Deep breath and relax!

It seems that my local Asda (Chaucer) is now pressurising people to use the self-serve tills. When I visited on Monday one of the staff was telling the lady behind me in the queue about how she could use them, even though clearly she wasn't interested :hihi:

I used them at the weekend and ended up having to wait for one of the staff to come over because I'd bought a bottle of wine. I don't mind using them as long as it actually saves me some time, if it takes even longer it's pointless.

Maybe a general boycot of using the self serve might make them rethink. I can't for one minute think that they're there to make things quicker or easier for the customer. All it's designed for in my view is to employ less checkout operators. I really do hate the self serve checkouts with a passion....and it annoys me even more to be pressured into using them, by some scripted 'helpful' assistant!....Grrrrrr

Maybe a general boycot of using the self serve might make them rethink. I can't for one minute think that they're there to make things quicker or easier for the customer. All it's designed for in my view is to employ less checkout operators. I really do hate the self serve checkouts with a passion....and it annoys me even more to be pressured into using them, by some scripted 'helpful' assistant!....Grrrrrr

Hmmm, I prefer the self serve checkouts in all honesty. It means I can just go shopping without having to speak to someone. Yes I'm grumpy and don't like talking to people (much). I never have any issues with them, obviously when I buy beer or wine I have to wait for the attendant, but they come pretty swift. I don't go shopping at busy times so it's OK.

Hmmm, I prefer the self serve checkouts in all honesty. It means I can just go shopping without having to speak to someone. Yes I'm grumpy and don't like talking to people (much). I never have any issues with them, obviously when I buy beer or wine I have to wait for the attendant, but they come pretty swift. I don't go shopping at busy times so it's OK.

I think you may be one of a few that seem to like them. Most people I know really don't like them. I personally hate them with a passion!..Even more so now!....Or am I the grumpy old so-and-so? I'd much rather deal with a 'proper person'.

Archived