Your Solicitor Should be Your Choice-Lets Make Sure it Stays That Way!

Solicitors should be treated the same as plumbers, electricians or other tradespeople.

Indeed. - Here's a fairly typical scenario.

You are the Duty Solicitor.

You are called out to attend a police station 30 miles away at 0030 on Saturday morning.

You go to the police station, meet your client, advise him and take his instructions.

The courts don't make life too easy for people who are arrested in the small hours (often after an 'enjoyable' evening) and your new client is scheduled to appear before the Magistrates at 0900 on Saturday morning. - If he's tired and hung-over, that's his problem.

You left home at 0035. You leave the police station and you go home. You get home at 0300 and you go straight to bed.

Your client will be in front of the magistrates at 0900.

So will you.

You get up at 6 am, sort yourself out, leave the house at 7am (I hope you got all the info you needed from your client last night) get in your car, drive 45 minutes to the Magistrates' Court and arrive in time to talk to your client before his appearance.

You got 3 hours sleep last night. - You might be feeling a bit tired, but it's a part of the job.

You want to be paid like a plumber?

How much would a plumber (who lived 30 miles away) charge if you called him out at 0030 on a Saturday morning and wanted him back at 0900 that morning?

Probably rather more than the Duty Solicitor is able to charge.

That sort of scenario is hardly uncommon (or was a few years ago - Moosey, would you care to comment?)

Most criminal law practitioners (Solicitors, not Barristers - though there are a few 'Solicitor Advocates' who can appear in higher courts) spend a lot of their time representing people facing minor charges in Magistrates court.

The life has 'antisocial hours' and the rates of pay - even at the moment - are probably rather less than a plumber would charge for the same callouts.

When the new rules (and rates) come into force, a number of Criminal Law solicitors may well decide it's time to do something else. If that happens, the client - even if (s)he is allowed to choose - may find that there isn't much of a choice. (Particularly in rural areas.)

Perhaps the government will have to introduce 'Public Defenders'? - Salaried employees who will (somehow) be fully independent of their Paymasters.

I or any of my friend has ever been arrested, why would police pick on you if you are innocent?

Misheard information, mistakes, wrong names. Any number of reasons can end up with you being falsely arrested. Hell just being the wrong time and the wrong place. You can doubt my innocence if you want but think about it this way, why would they arrest me and then later release me without charging me if I wasn't innocent?

So far other than idiotic reasonings, you've not given any logical or thought out reasons for not signing this petition, so if you're gonna stick around this thread fancy powering up your few brain cells to come up with a logic and well thought out arguement as to why this petition shouldn't be signed?

Or are you just going to carry on failing to troll and making stupid comments about how you're on benefits and making more than a solicitor because you know, that's impressing everyone on here right now. We are all so proud of you!

Indeed. - Here's a fairly typical scenario.

You are the Duty Solicitor.

You are called out to attend a police station 30 miles away at 0030 on Saturday morning.

You go to the police station, meet your client, advise him and take his instructions.

The courts don't make life too easy for people who are arrested in the small hours (often after an 'enjoyable' evening) and your new client is scheduled to appear before the Magistrates at 0900 on Saturday morning. - If he's tired and hung-over, that's his problem.

You left home at 0035. You leave the police station and you go home. You get home at 0300 and you go straight to bed.

Your client will be in front of the magistrates at 0900.

So will you.

You get up at 6 am, sort yourself out, leave the house at 7am (I hope you got all the info you needed from your client last night) get in your car, drive 45 minutes to the Magistrates' Court and arrive in time to talk to your client before his appearance.

You got 3 hours sleep last night. - You might be feeling a bit tired, but it's a part of the job.

You want to be paid like a plumber?

How much would a plumber (who lived 30 miles away) charge if you called him out at 0030 on a Saturday morning and wanted him back at 0900 that morning?

Probably rather more than the Duty Solicitor is able to charge.

That sort of scenario is hardly uncommon (or was a few years ago - Moosey, would you care to comment?)

Most criminal law practitioners (Solicitors, not Barristers - though there are a few 'Solicitor Advocates' who can appear in higher courts) spend a lot of their time representing people facing minor charges in Magistrates court.

The life has 'antisocial hours' and the rates of pay - even at the moment - are probably rather less than a plumber would charge for the same callouts.

When the new rules (and rates) come into force, a number of Criminal Law solicitors may well decide it's time to do something else. If that happens, the client - even if (s)he is allowed to choose - may find that there isn't much of a choice. (Particularly in rural areas.)

Perhaps the government will have to introduce 'Public Defenders'? - Salaried employees who will (somehow) be fully independent of their Paymasters.

Hear, hear!

I stay on right side of law and have never need a solicitor, why would i sign :huh:

Well....you see all those not guilty verdicts in the courts? That's why some people need solicitors, because they are unjustly accused.

They should operate as independent contractors, not part of a cartel as at present.

Solicitors - those providing criminal law services under the legal aid scheme - do not operate as a Cartel. The rates they are paid are set by the government.

If you wish to instruct a solicitor privately, you will pay whatever (s)he asks. (S)he will tell you what it's going to cost and it's up to you to decide whether you are prepared to pay that amount.

They should operate as independent contractors, not part of a cartel as at present.

You also said they should charge whatever they can get. Make your mind up if you want a free market or are just envious of professions :)

As I said, let solicitors charge whatever they can get. If there's a surplus of solicitors, their fees will have to drop, a scarcity, their fees will have to rise. If people want to go in front of the beak without a solicitor, their choice.

Are you suggesting that legal aid should be scrapped completely? A number of people can't afford a solicitor and - without legal aid - they would have no representation.

If the amount the government is prepared to pay is less than solicitors are prepared to accept, then many solicitors will find something else to do. You can't force them to work long antisocial hours for a few pennies.

The government could introduce a 'Public Defender' system - but I suspect they would find that isn't a cheap option.

Archived