What's your fondest memory of 60's sheffield

Me and my 2 brothers playing football in the field behind our house one beautiful Saturday afternoon in 1968. Laying down on the grass, talking, joking and dreaming. Probably the last time we were all together before girl friends and work and ambitions and a boat to Australia separated us for ever.

Me and my 2 brothers playing football in the field behind our house one beautiful Saturday afternoon in 1968. Laying down on the grass, talking, joking and dreaming. Probably the last time we were all together before girl friends and work and ambitions and a boat to Australia separated us for ever.

why should it separate you all for ever downsunder ? unless of coarse your 2 brothers have sadly passed away dont forget the world is a much smaller place now than it was in the 60s

going into town on a saturday to redgates with my grandad, and going to see the christmas lights on the moor, the lord mayors parade and rag day. town used to be fun, now it's just a dump.

Ditto, but I went to Redgates with my mum, the Christmas Lights were great and not full of silly other best wishes, the LMP was great and rag day was a laugh. I was 7 when we won WC but still remember it, and still am one of the many on here that can we we saw it, not dreamed about it every 4 years.

Got a load of home cine footage shot in and around Sheffield in the 60's - just in the process of transferring it all onto DVD with a view to offering copies for sale at a reasonable price - just want to share it. Includes film shot in the parks - Longley Park baths, Concord Park, Firth Park etc., Rivelin paddling pool, film shot in the city centre with many buildings now long gone, rag week boat race and procession, St George's Day Parade, Star Walk, Whit Walk, trams, building of Tinsley Park Works etc (will update when it is done)

Went to watch a world cup game at Hillsborough, sat in the newly opened west stand. Went with a mate I was 19 then.

For me growing up in the fifties and sixties was great, the cars, the music, the clothes, going in the pubs and clubs, chatting up the girls.

Looking back it seemed like a golden age, like Macmillan said you've never had it so good.

If you were fed up with your job you could pack it in and get any other job you fancied.

Petrol was five bob a gallon, beer was one and four a pint, didn't have much, but I always had a bob or two in my pocket.

Were we better off then?

I think we were.

why should it separate you all for ever downsunder ? unless of coarse your 2 brothers have sadly passed away dont forget the world is a much smaller place now than it was in the 60s

Thanks Rod, no we are all still living. I've seen them twice since that day and I still luv 'em both very much. But on that 'perfect day' back in the 60's, which I remember so vividly, it was just the three of us, brothers and best mates, still in our teens, nothing else in the world mattered. Now we've all got our own lives, those days have gone. It was that sense of loss I was trying to describe. It just seems so fitting that it happened in the 60's, the most amazing decade in human history in my opinion.

Got a load of home cine footage shot in and around Sheffield in the 60's - just in the process of transferring it all onto DVD with a view to offering copies for sale at a reasonable price - just want to share it. Includes film shot in the parks - Longley Park baths, Concord Park, Firth Park etc., Rivelin paddling pool, film shot in the city centre with many buildings now long gone, rag week boat race and procession, St George's Day Parade, Star Walk, Whit Walk, trams, building of Tinsley Park Works etc (will update when it is done)

Looking forward to that!

Being a teenager in the 1960s was the most amazing experience and there has or ever will be any better time. Seeing the legendary Jimi Hendrix aged 16 in 1967 (I was 16 not him:D) was something I'll never forget and there has never been a time like it for music. Some of the bands from those days still fill the city hall today, how many of those that came after will be able to say that 50 years from when they were in their hey-day?

Archived