What's your fondest memory of 60's sheffield

I had forgotten about eh Deryshire pubs!! A crowd of us used to go the Lathkildale on a Sunday night, Brian Cook and the Vampires (?) were the regular 'turn' I met up with Brian again in 1999, he was dealing in insurance at that time. Recognised him at once!! Bit fuller, but still looked the same. Brian sadly died about two years ago on holiday in Spain Ithink he was on the golf course.

We used to come flying back from there and eat at Lin Hongs at Highfields, eating about 11.30 at night. My God if I eat after 7pm I am awake all night!!! That comes with old age! Some great times though.

Rock n roll dancing. everywhere was just such a good place to be. no fighting, muggings, etc. etc. freedom to do as you wished without any fear of harm. a lovely time to be young. todays kids aren't so lucky.

Got a load of home cine footage shot in and around Sheffield in the 60's - just in the process of transferring it all onto DVD with a view to offering copies for sale at a reasonable price - just want to share it. Includes film shot in the parks - Longley Park baths, Concord Park, Firth Park etc., Rivelin paddling pool, film shot in the city centre with many buildings now long gone, rag week boat race and procession, St George's Day Parade, Star Walk, Whit Walk, trams, building of Tinsley Park Works etc (will update when it is done)

Where are you going to get it transferred? Got loads myself,but can`t find anywhere who can put it on DVD.

I consider myself lucky to have grown up in the 60s. I got my first motorbike and used to go to the speedway every Thursday. You could park your bike in the street and never worried that it might not be there when you went back to it. I used to go up West Street on a Friday night drinking, and never saw any trouble. Bus fares were cheap. You never heard of anyone making cutbacks or companies making people redundant. Enjoyed many nights at the Esquire on Leadmill Road. Happy Times.

I consider myself lucky to have grown up in the 60s. I got my first motorbike and used to go to the speedway every Thursday. You could park your bike in the street and never worried that it might not be there when you went back to it. I used to go up West Street on a Friday night drinking, and never saw any trouble. Bus fares were cheap. You never heard of anyone making cutbacks or companies making people redundant. Enjoyed many nights at the Esquire on Leadmill Road. Happy Times.

Don't want to take the edge off your post in any way DOMMI, but I left my Rocket Gold Star in a street near United's ground one Saturday afternoon, they were playing QPR, when I came out it was gone. Never saw it again. It was 1969, the sixties were drawing to a close, we were just beginning to wake from the dream. Despite that, they were happy times for me too.

Archived