Anyone offer a bathroom tile drilling service?

Hello all!

I wondered if anyone could help please... My husband and I are in the middle of doing up our house and my husband has fitted a new bathroom and we now need to tile it but he was up all night yesterday trying to drill into a tile for the new radiator and he can't seem to even make a scratch in the tile! My husband's really good at DIY and has all the tools including a tile cutter and special drill bits so am gutted with this stumbling block :( We've also not had a bathroom for three weeks now what with gutting the old one, plastering etc so desperate to get back to some sort of normality as it's becoming a bit difficult.

I wondered if anyone knows of anyone who is more experienced in this sort of thing who wouldn't mind just drilling the holes in (and if needed cutting the tiles) for us to lay who won't charge a fortune as the project has pretty much used up all our cash...This would obviously only need doing in certain tiles so won't be a big job, just need a bit more expertise.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Thank you but as I say, he does have the tile drill but and ones designed for that particular type of tile...

That's why we didn't expect it to be a problem at all. Will send him the link though just in case. Thanks

Oops, my bad. Teach me not to skim read.

My husband's really good at DIY and has all the tools including a tile cutter and special drill bits so am gutted with this stumbling block :(

Do you know what the tile type and make is? May help someone else advise a solution or help you to get the correct person in.

I had the same problem after having my bathroom retiled with porcelain tiles.

It really is hard work to drill holes into them, and I used more than one "special" drill bit per hole, and plenty of swear words.:D

Obviously if you are hanging larger heavy items then a proper drilled fixing is required, but for smaller items ie towel ring, toilet roll holder, soap dish, robe hook etc it may be worth considering using a silicon adhesive/no-nails etc.

If the tiles are porcelain, for example grade 5 foot traffic, drilling is quite tough. The only sure fire way is with a water cooled diamond core bit. The kit is a bit minty if you only want the odd hole. In some cases you can persevere with good quality masonry bit and keeping it cool with loads of water, it takes an age but does work.

Good point! They're porcelain tiles. Hope that helps anyone!

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 08:52 ----------

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll pass them on. We have some lighter bits to hang e.g shelves etc but this is for the chrome radiator so a bit heavier. Will let my husband know.

Natzzz, we're in Crookes.

I'm only a mere woman, never done any tiling, or tile drilling or much DIY at all, but deep within the recesses of my brain, I seem to remember a tip which someone once told me, and that is to put Sellotape or masking tape over the tile, and drill through that, stops the drill bit slipping about. Apologies if you already know that, and that I am " teaching grandmother to suck eggs!":hihi:

Archived