Anyone offer a bathroom tile drilling service?

I've drilled tiles before in a bathroom and never had a real problem, just using a bog standard (good quality) masonary drill bit. I mark the spot where the hole is going. Use insulating tape (electrical tape) to put a cross over the spot where the hole is going. Make sure you still have the correct spot where the drill bit will be going. Use the drill in non-hammer mode, and a fairly slow speed to penetrate the tape and the initial glaze on the tile. Once the top glaze of the tile is penetrated, and you have a definite 'start' to the hole, you can then raise the speed and switch on the hammer function. Getting through the tile, I've found isn't the hard bit, it's whatever the wall is made of underneath that usually proved to be the tricky part. Well that's the method I use, and never had any broken tiles or grief!! :)

Natzzz, sorry, I won't let me reply to your message as I've not had more than five posts but just to say thank you so much, that's very kind of you. Think we might be ok now but will post later to let you all know how we got on as lots of tips to try!

Thanks all

One method I found helped with glazed tiles is to use a dremmel type tool and a grinding bit (usually looks like stone), just to get through the thin layer of glaze and provide a bit of purchase for the tile or masonry drill bit. You're much less likely to wind up with skids or slips by this method, and it's much easier to get through the glaze

If you are going to plug the hole you've drilled then make sure the hole is deep enough to place the plug behind the tile so when you put the screw in it expands the plug in the wall and not in the tile-otherwise when you put the screw in it may crack the tile.

Natzzz, sorry, I won't let me reply to your message as I've not had more than five posts but just to say thank you so much, that's very kind of you. Think we might be ok now but will post later to let you all know how we got on as lots of tips to try!

Thanks all

No worries, hope you have managed to sort it.

Archived