Why do we waste British lives on this load of deadbeats?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22579098

A debate by Afghan MPs about beefing up a law to prevent violence against women has been halted amid angry scenes.

Parliament's speaker ended the debate after 15 minutes after traditionalists called for the law to be scrapped.

A law banning violence against women, child marriages and forced marriages was passed by presidential decree in 2009, but did not gain MPs' approval.

What is the point in wasting British lives on a country that wants to live in the 12th century?

Is your memory really that short? Can't you remember what happened last time when Afghanistan was left to it's own devices with the fundamentals running the show?

As profound and ignorant as wanting a law that protects women scrapped?

More profound and ignorant as wanting a law that protects women scrapped?

Less profound and ignorant as wanting a law that protects women scrapped?

Come one, you have to help me out here. Which is it?

Of course those were poor decisions.

However calling a whole load of people who you've never met a ''bunch of savages (who) should be left to beat their women and rape their kids.'' is simply crass, unpleasant and stupid.

Following on from that choice bit of tarring with a broad brush, you suggest that we ''either walk away or turn it to glass.''

So you're quite happy suggesting that an entire nation should be obliterated.

You been there?

Live there?

Work there?

Holiday there?

I know a number of Afghan families.

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 13:06 ----------

You personally know all the Afghans then...amazing Im impressed ;)

No, just some.

Of course those were poor decisions.

However calling a whole load of people who you've never met a ''bunch of savages (who) should be left to beat their women and rape their kids.'' is simply crass, unpleasant and stupid.

As unpleasant as the people who want the law protecting women scrapped?

More unpleasant as the people who want the law protecting women scrapped?

Less unpleasant as the people who want the law protecting women scrapped?

Following on from that choice bit of tarring with a broad brush, you suggest that we ''either walk away or turn it to glass.''

So you're quite happy suggesting that an entire nation should be obliterated.

Never said id be happy now did i?

In fact my first suggestion (which is obviously my preferred choice as its the first one i put) was to walk away.

I know a number of Afghan families.

Argument won then.

Halibut knows some aghan families everyone.

Hes now an expert :hihi:

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 13:08 ----------

No, just some.

So you judge an entire people on the few you have met?

Hmmmm, interesting.

You personally know all the Afghans then...amazing Im impressed ;)

I doubt it, but seeing as he only needs to know one who isn't a deadbeat to prove that they aren't a load of deadbeats, your post is irrelevant.

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 14:07 ----------

Bunch of savages should be left to beat their women and rape their kids.

We cant change the way they think and never will.

We should either walk away or turn it to glass.

Can you genuinely not see anything savage in your suggestions here?

I doubt it, but seeing as he only needs to know one who isn't a deadbeat to prove that they aren't a load of deadbeats, your post is irrelevant.

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 14:07 ----------

Can you genuinely not see anything savage in your suggestions here?

What?

Its savage to walk away?

Hold the phone!!!

I get it. You are focusing on the option you want.

I gave two options. Why are you (and your mate for that matter) only seeing the "turn it to glass" option rather than the "walk away" choice?

Its because your bigoted views mean you cant help but see only what you want to see.

Afghanistan once had a government friendly to Russia. A great deal of education was going on (OK, so it was run by godless, atheistic communists).

So the USA, with eyes on defeating Russia in one way or another, took up the cause of traditional beliefs, and of fundamentalist religion.

IT WORKED !!!

With the help of Pakistani tribes, and with weapons and training from the USA, Afghanistan became FREE !!

Free to return to their traditions, which certainly do not include equality for women, and to join with their Pakistani fellows in believing that a girl who speaks out for female education deserves to be shot.

Maybe if we'd let the Commies have them for a century or two, things would be different!

What is the point in wasting British lives on a country that wants to live in the 12th century?

According to a joint report by the Pentagon, the US Geological Survey (USGS) and USAID, Afghanistan is now said to possess “previously unknown” and untapped mineral reserves, estimated authoritatively to be of the order of one trillion dollars (New York Times, U.S. Identifies Vast Mineral Riches in Afghanistan – NYTimes.com, June 14, 2010, See also BBC, 14 June 2010).

“The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys.

The vast scale of Afghanistan’s mineral wealth was discovered by a small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists. The Afghan government and President Hamid Karzai were recently briefed, American officials said.

While it could take many years to develop a mining industry, the potential is so great that officials and executives in the industry believe it could attract heavy investment even before mines are profitable, providing the possibility of jobs that could distract from generations of war.

“There is stunning potential here,” Gen. David H. Petraeus, commander of the United States Central Command, said… “There are a lot of ifs, of course, but I think potentially it is hugely significant.”

The value of the newly discovered mineral deposits dwarfs the size of Afghanistan’s existing war-bedraggled economy, which is based largely on opium production and narcotics trafficking as well as aid from the United States and other industrialized countries. Afghanistan’s gross domestic product is only about $12 billion.

“This will become the backbone of the Afghan economy,” said Jalil Jumriany, an adviser to the Afghan minister of mines. (New York Times, op. cit.)

Afghanistan could become, according to The New York Times “the Saudi Arabia of lithium”. “Lithium is an increasingly vital resource, used in batteries for everything from mobile phones to laptops and key to the future of the electric car.”

LINK

Oh wait, you still believe the ostensible reason for us being there.

The terrorist "bogeyman".

Yeah, like those Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq.

What?

Its savage to walk away?

Hold the phone!!!

I get it. You are focusing on the option you want.

I gave two options. Why are you (and your mate for that matter) only seeing the "turn it to glass" option rather than the "walk away" choice?

Its because your bigoted views mean you cant help but see only what you want to see.

I would certainly say there is something savage in not attempting to ameliorate a situation in which women and children are being abused.

You actually made two suggestions of what we should do rather than intervene as we currently are. There is savagery in both.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that you didn't really mean an entire nation should be turned to glass now that you have been called upon it and shown that it is far more savage than that which you are opposing as savage?

Did you mean it or not?

I would certainly say there is something savage in not attempting to ameliorate a situation in which women and children are being abused.

You actually made two suggestions of what we should do rather than intervene as we currently are. There is savagery in both.

How very dramatic.

Savage to leave these people to rule themselves?

Are you saying that they are incapable of looking after their own affairs?

If you are, and i hope you arent but if you are then that a very patronising thing to say

Are you seriously trying to suggest that you didn't really mean an entire nation should be turned to glass now that you have been called upon it and shown that it is far more savage than that which you are opposing as savage?

Did you mean it or not?

So you do understand irony then?

Good, i was beginning to think it was lost on you.

us and the US started it, simple

So the terrorist training camps exporting death and destruction to the world happened after we invaded did they?

I have less and less of an urge to visit anywhere beyond Europe these days and if and when I do its to see the beauty of the country not the culture. It seems the only places that are free from oppression and terror are the western nations and Japan these days.

Archived