Would you strike?

Hi

More than 1 million council workers have been offered their first pay rise in three years, with a proposed increase of 1%. Other workers are averaging over 2% pay rises, every year.

Public sector workers pension has also been cut by the Government. Bosses of our top companies are getting over 15% pay rises, I wonder what the chief ex. of the councils are getting in pay rises?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/apr/24/council-workers-pay-rise-years

We had a meeting with the boss a few weeks ago, she told us that the council struggled to recrute and retain workers.

More than 1 million council workers have been offered their first pay rise in three years

Lucky them.

Perhaps I should increase my rates? After all, I'm only competing against cheaper workers in India and China.

Public Sector workers, welcome to the Real World. We in the private sector hope you enjoy your stay.

Strike as much as you want, just don't get in the way of me earning a living, OK?

It would have to be a powerful case put forward by the unions. I believe in the majority of cases compromise is possible. Just requires both sides to have the right attitude.

I agree with this. If I were to strike, it would be a last resort where all other avenues had been exhausted.

No I wouldn't strike. Don't believe in it.

In the past three years I've put up with no pay rises or bonuses, huge changes to my role with no consultation or chance to argue for what I'd prefer, amongst other things. If we striked we'd be laughed at.

If I'm not happy I can look for other places to work.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

In the past three years I've put up with no pay rises or bonuses, huge changes to my role with no consultation or chance to argue for what I'd prefer, amongst other things. If we striked we'd be laughed at.

What would it take to make you unhappy.

that just about sums it up.......read it back again and have a think, and see if the penny drops....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosey

What would it take to make you unhappy.

I'm not happy hence I'm looking for other jobs.

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 16:18 ----------

that just about sums it up.......read it back again and have a think, and see if the penny drops....

I'm entitled to my views.

Do I like having no pay rise? Of course not. Do I believe I should strike? No. Personally I don't. I believe I should go and find a different job.

Additionally I don't work in an industry where I can strike, not that I would.

I'm not happy hence I'm looking for other jobs.

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 16:18 ----------

I'm entitled to my views.

Do I like having no pay rise? Of course not. Do I believe I should strike? No. Personally I don't. I believe I should go and find a different job.

Additionally I don't work in an industry where I can strike, not that I would.

I don't mean this in a bad way but here goes. You're an employers' dream. Let yourself get treated like rubbish for years then sack yourself.

It highlights the plight of an individual against an employer. Are all employers in your industry operating the same way?

Archived