Would you strike?

I don't mean this in a bad way but here goes. You're an employers' dream. Let yourself get treated like rubbish for years then sack yourself.

It highlights the plight of an individual against an employer. Are all employers in your industry operating the same way?

I agree but sadly that's law for you.

There's dozens if not hundreds of fresh newly qualified lawyers wanting a role. Generally about 40 lawyers apply for every role if not more. Strike, mark yourself out as a hassle and watch how quick you're "performance managed" out of the company.

Sad but true.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I agree but sadly that's law for you.

There's dozens if not hundreds of fresh newly qualified lawyers wanting a role. Generally about 40 lawyers apply for every role if not more. Strike, mark yourself out as a hassle and watch how quick you're "performance managed" out of the company.

Sad but true.

Sounds rubbish. Good luck with your job search.

Sounds rubbish. Good luck with your job search.

Absolutely rubbish. Sad thing is most lawyers I know feel the same way. Cheers though.

I agree with this. If I were to strike, it would be a last resort where all other avenues had been exhausted.

Quite right that is when strikes by such as PCS are called, they use every avenue to discuss, ballot members; go back and say got mandate to strike, but request further talks.

Now if these talks fail; then they use the mandate they have to call the strike, nobody wants to but we cannot be doormats all our lives. It is still the fundamental right of the working person to be able to withdraw their labour, they don't have many rights left in the workplace now.

I agree with this. If I were to strike, it would be a last resort where all other avenues had been exhausted.

I would strike and have done so in the past but like you I believe it should be as a last resort. Unions should pick their fights. I'm fed up of being asked to go on strike over things that can't be changed. The more kneejerk strikes called over general discontent and grumbling with Government policy the less effective striking becomes as a tool to improve specific conditions.

"Down with it all" is not a battle that can be won.

No I wouldn't strike. Don't believe in it.

In the past three years I've put up with no pay rises or bonuses, huge changes to my role with no consultation or chance to argue for what I'd prefer, amongst other things. If we striked we'd be laughed at.

If I'm not happy I can look for other places to work.

I partly agree. But working for the local authority is a political post, and its a political statement to just offer us 1%.

We should be aiming for a salary that makes it worthwhile to work and not stay on benefits, so local government wages should rise by more than state benefits. And that is just to catch up with getting lower rises than benefits in previous years.

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 19:49 ----------

I have been on strike befiore, for the odd day, but I treated it like a holiday and I didnt believe in the strike.

But now I would gladly give up 2 weeks wages to kick out David Cameron.

I partly agree. But working for the local authority is a political post, and its a political statement to just offer us 1%.

We should be aiming for a salary that makes it worthwhile to work and not stay on benefits, so local government wages should rise by more than state benefits. And that is just to catch up with getting lower rises than benefits in previous years.

I have been on strike befiore, for the odd day, but I treated it like a holiday and I didnt believe in the strike.

If you really dislike Cameron, that's your choice. You're not alone (certainly not in Sheffield) but there are others (and I'm not on the list) who do like him.

Are you setting yourself up on the other side in a battle between two political factions?

Is that a good idea?

What are the possibe outcomes?

Do you stand to win as much, more or less than you stand to lose?

As others have suggested, it's probably a good idea to pick your battles very carefully.

If you are a Civil Servant (Be that a National civil servant or somebody working for a local authority) and you go in strike, who is likely to be most affected by your strike? Are you really likely to 'bring the government to its knees' or are those who benefit directly from your daily work (often local people who are probably not very wealthy) likely to suffer?

Could a smart (and they wouldn't have to be that smart) propagandist working for your employer do anything to persuade the people who are suffering directly from the effects of your strike that your strike is aimed at them (rather than at the government/council, your employers)?

If yu worked in a department which paid out a benefit and if you withdrew your labout (which you are entitled to do) who is going to lose in the short term?

Cameron (Or your employer) might be annoyed with you, but he or they can probably manage without the benefit (they probably don't draw it anyway.)

Do you think the people who were expecting to receive that benefit are going to be angry with Cameron, or are they going to be angry with the people who went on strike and refused to make the payments?

Pick your battles very carefully.

The Union of which I was a member (not a Union prone to strike) never called a strike during the time I was a member. Had they done so, I would've supported it. I would've hoped, however, that they had a plan behind the strike, because striking 'just because you can' isn't (IMO) going to do the strikers any good.

Then what? 8% pay rises, minimum wage up to £8 an hour? Milk and honey for every worker? I've a feeling the first few years of the next government (regardless of who wins) will feel much like the first few of this one.

Hi

More than 1 million council workers have been offered their first pay rise in three years, with a proposed increase of 1%. Other workers are averaging over 2% pay rises, every year.

Public sector workers pension has also been cut by the Government. Bosses of our top companies are getting over 15% pay rises, I wonder what the chief ex. of the councils are getting in pay rises?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/apr/24/council-workers-pay-rise-years

We had a meeting with the boss a few weeks ago, she told us that the council struggled to recrute and retain workers.

I would be happy I had a job and would stop whining.

If you really dislike Cameron, that's your choice. You're not alone (certainly not in Sheffield) but there are others (and I'm not on the list) who do like him.

Are you setting yourself up on the other side in a battle between two political factions?

Is that a good idea?

What are the possibe outcomes?

I may well decide to vote no, but since we have voted to strike before; when the case for strike was lower.

Perhaps a clearer signal would be better for those negoiating?

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 20:48 ----------

I would be happy I had a job and would stop whining.

I have been happy the past few years to take a below inflation and below benefits pay rise.

Archived