Would you strike?

I think it's within anyone's rights to strike, but I also agree with a worker's right not to strike, and that the intimidation which can occur in picketing is downright bullying which I don't agree with.

Not everyone has the same opinion and each has to be true to their beliefs.

The fact is, that most public sector workers aren't worth what they already get. They would struggle to get the same wage in the private sector.

We had a meeting with the boss a few weeks ago, she told us that the council struggled to recrute and retain workers.

I have been concidering other options, going self employed, bidding for a council service seems appealing.

If I didn't think I was being paid enough, I would find another employer who would pay me what I was worth. The fact is, that most public sector workers aren't worth what they already get. They would struggle to get the same wage in the private sector.

Fact or opinion?

The fact is, that most public sector workers aren't worth what they already get. They would struggle to get the same wage in the private sector.

I only get £6.84 per hour, you cant get much lower.

I think it's within anyone's rights to strike, but I also agree with a worker's right not to strike, and that the intimidation which can occur in picketing is downright bullying which I don't agree with.

Not everyone has the same opinion and each has to be true to their beliefs.

Official pickets can only ask someone not to cross the picket line, the intimidation you speak of normally comes from those that join the picket and have no affiliation to that union, but feel its fine to hurl abuse at people going into work.

These people are told by the pickets to stop doing this or leave the picket, but by the same token I'll give you an example of what happened on a legal picket a few weeks ago.

A person was going into the workplace & the picket asked nicely "can I ask you not to cross a picket line".

Now the person going into work replied with F Off ham shankers, but NOTHING was done against him, this is just as bad as bullying as people call it.

Perhaps people can live with crossing a picket, I've never been able to, that is each to their own, and I have manned many picket lines over the last few years. I have never swore at anyone, or stopped anyone going into work by crossing said line, I have outlined to them why we were striking and have had some success in people turning back and not crossing, but some do that's up to them.

There's dozens if not hundreds of fresh newly qualified lawyers wanting a role. Generally about 40 lawyers apply for every role if not more. Strike, mark yourself out as a hassle and watch how quick you're "performance managed" out of the company.

but you are not, i believe, a newly qualified lawyer, you have many years of experience which means you can do things efficiently and correctly with less supervision than a newly qualified lawyer needs.

if you all act collectively rather than individually then you can't all be performance managed out and even if you are your employer is faced with the massive cost of recruiting and training new staff who will be unable to get to grip with all the cases for weeks, possibly months. Important dates will be missed, claims will be mishandled, customers will go elsewhere, your firm's reputation will suffer.

together you are not as powerless as you believe....

If you really dislike Cameron, that's your choice. You're not alone (certainly not in Sheffield) but there are others (and I'm not on the list) who do like him.

Are you setting yourself up on the other side in a battle between two political factions?

Is that a good idea?

What are the possibe outcomes?

Do you stand to win as much, more or less than you stand to lose?

As others have suggested, it's probably a good idea to pick your battles very carefully.

If you are a Civil Servant (Be that a National civil servant or somebody working for a local authority) and you go in strike, who is likely to be most affected by your strike? Are you really likely to 'bring the government to its knees' or are those who benefit directly from your daily work (often local people who are probably not very wealthy) likely to suffer?

Could a smart (and they wouldn't have to be that smart) propagandist working for your employer do anything to persuade the people who are suffering directly from the effects of your strike that your strike is aimed at them (rather than at the government/council, your employers)?

If yu worked in a department which paid out a benefit and if you withdrew your labout (which you are entitled to do) who is going to lose in the short term?

Cameron (Or your employer) might be annoyed with you, but he or they can probably manage without the benefit (they probably don't draw it anyway.)

Do you think the people who were expecting to receive that benefit are going to be angry with Cameron, or are they going to be angry with the people who went on strike and refused to make the payments?

Pick your battles very carefully.

The Union of which I was a member (not a Union prone to strike) never called a strike during the time I was a member. Had they done so, I would've supported it. I would've hoped, however, that they had a plan behind the strike, because striking 'just because you can' isn't (IMO) going to do the strikers any good.

Excellent post Rupert!

I think some people just want to try and start a mini revolution without really thinking about the consequences, but just because the union says so.

Archived