Would you strike?

I only get £6.84 per hour, you cant get much lower.

I think you'll find you get less than that in the first 6 months of being self employed unless you really, really hit the ground running. And you might "win" council services, but getting paid for them in good time is another matter entirely.

but you are not, i believe, a newly qualified lawyer, you have many years of experience which means you can do things efficiently and correctly with less supervision than a newly qualified lawyer needs.

if you all act collectively rather than individually then you can't all be performance managed out and even if you are your employer is faced with the massive cost of recruiting and training new staff who will be unable to get to grip with all the cases for weeks, possibly months. Important dates will be missed, claims will be mishandled, customers will go elsewhere, your firm's reputation will suffer.

together you are not as powerless as you believe....

Sorry, I missed this.

You're right Andy, I've been in the job since the mid 90s, but that actually puts me at more risk I think.

I won't give too many details, but there are a number of us in the same position. Costs in civil work are being driven down massively, to the point where there are job cuts etc on the cards. We're expensive compared to newly qualified people, and although I don't earn a massive amount, and it's not gone up for a while, it's still more than a junior person.

The risk is that a lot of law firms will be keen to get rid of mid-level staff, particularly in my field, and replace them with junior staff. I don't think it's the right thing to do, I think client care and standards will drop, but in doing so it means the people at the top keep their high salaries, whilst saving money by employing cheaper staff. I think it's hideous, but it's the way law will be. In 5 years time, ask any PI firm how many qualified lawyers they've got. It won't be a high number.

Sadly, that puts me and people of my experience bang in the firing line. We're expensive (ish, although still not what people think), and although juniors wouldn't be as good, they'd be a lot cheaper.

On that basis, me and people at my level really don't want to stand out as trouble, unless there's something else in the pipeline.

I would love it if all of us grouped as you suggest. I really, really would. I've openly said I'm no fan of lawyers, as a lot would happily stab others in the back (I can't do that as a person - it's just not me), meaning it's sadly unlikely that a large enough number would support such action.

I have been on strike when other workers Havant because they did not agree with it, but i don't know one that turned down the benefits the strikers got. Back on topic i would be more willing to go on strike to get the same increases that the big boys get.

I have been on strike when other workers Havant because they did not agree with it, but i don't know one that turned down the benefits the strikers got. Back on topic i would be more willing to go on strike to get the same increases that the big boys get.

Thanks kidley I have said that for ages, I hold the opinion that is someone is offered 2% & go on strike, and end up with 5% they get it. The scabs who go into work get 2% as it's obvious they are happy with it, won't strike but take all the benefits, make me puke.

I feel sorry for those at the bottom of the chain who are living on the breadline with their measly wages and can't afford to strike because every penny counts, but do because to do otherwise would see them labelled by some as scabs, when their counterparts at the top of the scale are reaping the benefits.

I feel sorry for those at the bottom of the chain who are living on the breadline with their measly wages and can't afford to strike because every penny counts, but do because to do otherwise would see them labelled by some as scabs, when their counterparts at the top of the scale are reaping the benefits.

If they're worth more money (and perhaps they are) why don't they set themselves up as self-employed and make more money?

If they're not capable of putting in that extra effort - either because they don't have the willingness or aptitude to do so, then (unfortunately) they probably aren't worth the extra money.

Life doesn't come with warranties or guarantees. It's hard and unforgiving. They're still far, far better off than similar people elsewhere.

If they're worth more money (and perhaps they are) why don't they set themselves up as self-employed and make more money?

If they're not capable of putting in that extra effort - either because they don't have the willingness or aptitude to do so, then (unfortunately) they probably aren't worth the extra money.

Life doesn't come with warranties or guarantees. It's hard and unforgiving. They're still far, far better off than similar people elsewhere.

It costs money to set up a business & a lot of time. The banks aren't lending the money. Most businesses don't make a profit or much money to pay their owners in their first year. Lots of people have a family to support.

Archived