What is the most loved Chinese dish?

Chicken Chow Mein always seems to be popular, and sweet and sour dishes. Crispy duck, hoisin sauce and pancakes for me - spring rolls too. Oh, and not forgetting the chicken and sweetcorn soup for starters!

What about trying this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainanese_chicken_rice

Delicious.....ate it nearly every day in Singapore. I miss the food courts of Singapore....the food is so fresh, tasty & cheap! There's nothing equivalent to be found here in the UK.

I'm a bit like that, only I learned about Chinese good in Malaysia, more than Singapore. The first thing you find out is that almost all the Chinese dishes you thought were Chinese in that they are sold in Chinese takeaways and even restaurants in Britain, aren't really Chinese dishes at all. Call them by name, and all you will get is a blank stare even if the Malaysian or Singaporean Chinese person's English is really good - they have probably never heard of them. I used to eat all sorts of Chinese dishes in Malaysia that you never saw here although it is getting better now that Chinese eateries even in Sheffield are catering more and more to Chinese people rather than English ones. My all-round favourite from an English Chinese restaurant or takeaway is probably the crispy duck pancake with hoi-sin sauce, but I never saw that in Malaysia or anything like it really. In fact whenever I got back to England that used to be the first thing I ever got from a Chinese. I couldn't get it in a Chinese Chinese place in Malaysia, but only from a English Chinese place in England.

Subjective but my favourites are:

Mixed meats in bleak bean sauce. (includes green peppers, water chestnuts and bamboo - Varies)

Shredded chilli chicken with sesame seeds

Were you thinking of another four years of tory rule at this point?

red glazed pork

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Thats just Chinese roast pork?

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 12:00 ----------

I'm a bit like that, only I learned about Chinese good in Malaysia, more than Singapore. The first thing you find out is that almost all the Chinese dishes you thought were Chinese in that they are sold in Chinese takeaways and even restaurants in Britain, aren't really Chinese dishes at all. Call them by name, and all you will get is a blank stare even if the Malaysian or Singaporean Chinese person's English is really good - they have probably never heard of them. I used to eat all sorts of Chinese dishes in Malaysia that you never saw here although it is getting better now that Chinese eateries even in Sheffield are catering more and more to Chinese people rather than English ones. My all-round favourite from an English Chinese restaurant or takeaway is probably the crispy duck pancake with hoi-sin sauce, but I never saw that in Malaysia or anything like it really. In fact whenever I got back to England that used to be the first thing I ever got from a Chinese. I couldn't get it in a Chinese Chinese place in Malaysia, but only from a English Chinese place in England.

It is same with most international food.An example is spaghetti bolognese,in Italy the ragu sauce has never been served with spaghetti.Over here it seems to be a tomato dish,traditionally it is a meat dish, first and foremost.It is also made using milk,carrots,celery,pancetta,both beef and pork mince.

duck as well as pork is commonly served in Chinese restos in Malaysia but I never saw the package where you get meat plus vegetables and pancakes where you spread the hoi-sin sauce on the cakes and then you are supposed to roll them up and eat them by hand. There might be some kind of dish like that there, but I never saw it and when I asked about it and tried to explain what it was, they didn't know what I meant. Whereas here, crispy duck (and sometimes pork, too) pancakes are on the menu of just about every Chinese takeaway in the country. I got used to eating all kinds of stuff like rice porridge for breakfast or even variants thereof like oyster porridge and even frog porridge that will you will never or almost never see in any Chinese place here.

Archived