Ego cigs around kids, whats the concensus??

Both my husband and myself smoke. Our children ( both now married and in their 30s ) grew up seeing us smoke, one smokes and the other doesn't. I don't think our smoking influenced our children either way. If a child is going to try smoking later on they'll do it anyway.

Also remember the house is your husbands too. :)

Correct, but this seems to have been forgotten here. This has all been about the kids . This poor bloke has the right to smoke in his own home if he wishes .

Well...It's only my personal opinion, but I think you're grossly overreacting. Of course I'm slightly biased, in that after me having been a smoker for 40+ years, I have now taken up the e-cig. Nothing has ever come close to working previously, and believe me I've tried all of the variations of potential quitting aids. Not had a proper cig now for around 12 weeks, and what's more, I don't want one! Gradually, I smoking less and less of the e-cig, and the plan is to ditch that eventually too.

Why do I think you're overreacting? I wonder, have your kids never seen 'daddy' smoking in the garden? Do you ban them from looking out of the window when he used to be out there? Have they never been in the garden at the same time as 'daddy' or you when you smoked? The water vapour you witness from the e-cig, is exactly the same as you might see when you boil a kettle for a brew or a coffee. It's no different! I wonder do you make the same efforts to 'usher' away that vapour? As has been suggested elsewhere in the thread, the 'crud' that you and your children inhale from walking down the street is far more dangerous. You can't wrap people or your children in cotton wool forever. One day, they'll be let loose on a pretty unpleasant and dangerous world out there!

Where I work, the boss has welcomed the use of e-cigs (he's not a smoker). His theory is, that if people are genuinely trying to get off the fags, why should he put obstacles in their way? So he allows it, in the works and offices.

I do suspect however, that he has ulterior motives however. Not least of which, is nobody who uses one, now has to down tools and sneak outside for a 'fag' break! = Better productivity.

Because they're not being ripped off by the government in 'duty' (tax) in the cost of ciggies = More disposable income for them, giving the illusion they are better off, and don't need a pay rise!...hahaha

Because their health 'may' improve by not smoking proper ciggies = Less sickness absence (although that's a bit obtuse).

Getting back to your old man! I assume he doesn't deliberately exhale the vapour directly into yours or your children's face? All you need do, is just ask him to be somewhat discreet about using it in the house, or car, or wherever! I've found I can use mine in a pub, or even wandering around a supermarket! I'm not openly flaunting it, and I'm discreet about it. It's when you wave it in people's faces, that they tend to get the hump!

With regards to children being influenced by seeing adults smoking.

When I was little my mom had TB so she wasn't allowed to look after my sister and myself and we were brought up by two different aunty and uncles. My sister was in a smoking home......she has never smoked. I was in a non smoking home.... I smoke.

Also 6 cousins from smoking homes...... only one cousin has ever smoked.

Funny that.

Well...It's only my personal opinion, but I think you're grossly overreacting. Of course I'm slightly biased, in that after me having been a smoker for 40+ years, I have now taken up the e-cig. Nothing has ever come close to working previously, and believe me I've tried all of the variations of potential quitting aids. Not had a proper cig now for around 12 weeks, and what's more, I don't want one! Gradually, I smoking less and less of the e-cig, and the plan is to ditch that eventually too.

Why do I think you're overreacting? I wonder, have your kids never seen 'daddy' smoking in the garden? Do you ban them from looking out of the window when he used to be out there? Have they never been in the garden at the same time as 'daddy' or you when you smoked? The water vapour you witness from the e-cig, is exactly the same as you might see when you boil a kettle for a brew or a coffee. It's no different! I wonder do you make the same efforts to 'usher' away that vapour? As has been suggested elsewhere in the thread, the 'crud' that you and your children inhale from walking down the street is far more dangerous. You can't wrap people or your children in cotton wool forever. One day, they'll be let loose on a pretty unpleasant and dangerous world out there!

Where I work, the boss has welcomed the use of e-cigs (he's not a smoker). His theory is, that if people are genuinely trying to get off the fags, why should he put obstacles in their way? So he allows it, in the works and offices.

I do suspect however, that he has ulterior motives however. Not least of which, is nobody who uses one, now has to down tools and sneak outside for a 'fag' break! = Better productivity.

Because they're not being ripped off by the government in 'duty' (tax) in the cost of ciggies = More disposable income for them, giving the illusion they are better off, and don't need a pay rise!...hahaha

Because their health 'may' improve by not smoking proper ciggies = Less sickness absence (although that's a bit obtuse).

Getting back to your old man! I assume he doesn't deliberately exhale the vapour directly into yours or your children's face? All you need do, is just ask him to be somewhat discreet about using it in the house, or car, or wherever! I've found I can use mine in a pub, or even wandering around a supermarket! I'm not openly flaunting it, and I'm discreet about it. It's when you wave it in people's faces, that they tend to get the hump!

Well written post there. Your spot on that they seem to work, I don't deny that. Bethsdaddy has tried quitting 4 times in the last 8 years one time even going as long as 3 months without, But he always struggles immensely in the first few weeks. This time you wouldn't guess he's trying to kick the habit.

All I want is for him to move into the next room for instance if kids are in the kitchen for him to go in the conservatory or vice-versa. We'll find a happy medium I'm sure. And if I can find some proof that its unharmful then I'll be happy for him to puff away.

Good luck on your quitting journey Pete.

I'm just off to the Jeremy Kyle show. DNA tests on the kids because apparently they may be the milkman's, or postman's, or the window cleaners.

:hihi::hihi:

Well written post there. Your spot on that they seem to work, I don't deny that. Bethsdaddy has tried quitting 4 times in the last 8 years one time even going as long as 3 months without, But he always struggles immensely in the first few weeks. This time you wouldn't guess he's trying to kick the habit.

All I want is for him to move into the next room for instance if kids are in the kitchen for him to go in the conservatory or vice-versa. We'll find a happy medium I'm sure. And if I can find some proof that its unharmful then I'll be happy for him to puff away.

Good luck on your quitting journey Pete.

I'm just off to the Jeremy Kyle show. DNA tests on the kids because apparently they may be the milkman's, or postman's, or the window cleaners.

:hihi::hihi:

:wow::wow::wow: Don't 'you' know? :shocked: hahaaha

Archived