Old Reliant Regal

If the gauge is that hot you may have blown the head gasket again :(

Does the fan kick in on the rad to cool it down?

They dont have fans on rad:suspect:

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 00:23 ----------

Ok so gone through everything and found sod all will try Kamco hyper if i can found some nothing to loose.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 00:29 ----------

Kamco

Dispatched within 1 day

Estimated between Thu. 23 May. and Fri. 24

Wouldn't you get bubbles in the water system from something like that?

Causing it to chuck out water.

possibly it depends on how bad the liners are...i just thought i'd chuck it in for consideration

Glynn

Air locks are a problem with a "stood" engine. You may have thought you had got all the air out but it can still be in the system. What we do is to run the engine with the filler cap off for half an hour, keep a check on the temperature and also the water level in the radiator. If there is air in the system it will come to the top in the form of bubbles under the rad cap. Put cap back on when bubbles cease.

I think you have to take a compression test because you cannot specify with only watching it.

Been done as stated 7.8.1 1,3,4,2

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 13:32 ----------

Air locks are a problem with a "stood" engine. You may have thought you had got all the air out but it can still be in the system. What we do is to run the engine with the filler cap off for half an hour, keep a check on the temperature and also the water level in the radiator. If there is air in the system it will come to the top in the form of bubbles under the rad cap. Put cap back on when bubbles cease.

As stated been done 3 times now.When i say bubble,s dont mean air bubble,s as such more like its reaching boiling point.As if it had no fan fitted.

The engine in the reliant are what is called wet sleeve cylinders they are well known for overheating when the engine has a lot of wear in the cylinders if you have checked all the obvious things and flushed all the cooling system out it will be the cylinders that are worn have a look for back pressure coming out of the oil filler they usually start burning oil as well.they are well known for overheating I've rebuilt lots of them in the past.you can get a more upto date engine from the robbins to fit have a look on ebay there are a few engines for sale there you can get the 850cc engine for them makes them go a lot faster.

The engine in the reliant are what is called wet sleeve cylinders they are well known for overheating when the engine has a lot of wear in the cylinders if you have checked all the obvious things and flushed all the cooling system out it will be the cylinders that are worn have a look for back pressure coming out of the oil filler they usually start burning oil as well.they are well known for overheating I've rebuilt lots of them in the past.you can get a more upto date engine from the robbins to fit have a look on ebay there are a few engines for sale there you can get the 850cc engine for them makes them go a lot faster.

There is no back pressure and good compression do not fancy engine coming out . But do have a spare 850 plus still running one .Yes I know liners can be removed did one about 3 year ago .

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 14:03 ----------

Or should I say terminator fitted them about 3 year ago as I probably would have broken them if I had done them knowing my look.:suspect:

There is no back pressure and good compression do not fancy engine coming out . But do have a spare 850 plus still running one .Yes I know liners can be removed did one about 3 year ago .

The cylinder liners go thin and they seem to heat the water jacket up like mad its called heat transference or somthing seen it lots of times in the past.get the 850 engine put in they are a lot better engine. easy job changing the engine on them do it from under the car bit fiddly but not a big job.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 14:14 ----------

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 14:03 ----------

Or should I say terminator fitted them about 3 year ago as I probably would have broken them if I had done them knowing my look.:suspect:

Terminator is an old friend of mine known him for years we worked together at one time ask him about the robin he stuck a big six cylinder engine in.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 14:45 ----------

I know you say you have looked at it but I do know the water pumps can be a bit dodgy on them as well. the impeller has a habit of coming loose on the shaft and you can easily overlook it as it still spins when you flick it but it does not turn on the belt drive as it has come loose on the shaft.hold the pulley and try turning the impeller fan if it moves around while you are holding the drive pulley chances are it will not be circulating the water round.

The cylinder liners go thin and they seem to heat the water jacket up like mad its called heat transference or somthing seen it lots of times in the past.get the 850 engine put in they are a lot better engine. easy job changing the engine on them do it from under the car bit fiddly but not a big job.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 14:14 ----------

Terminator is an old friend of mine known him for years we worked together at one time ask him about the robin he stuck a big six cylinder engine in.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 14:45 ----------

I know you say you have looked at it but I do know the water pumps can be a bit dodgy on them as well. the impeller has a habit of coming loose on the shaft and you can easily overlook it as it still spins when you flick it but it does not turn on the belt drive as it has come loose on the shaft.hold the pulley and try turning the impeller fan if it moves around while you are holding the drive pulley chances are it will not be circulating the water round.

You got me there you on about the black Robin.

Is that Tom ?

Archived