Old Reliant Regal

Yeah well have to say that thought it was you with vehicle and location lol

I had a couple of reliant regals that seemed to overheat a lot I always put it down to the cylinder liners wearing I ended swapping the engine out, what's your thoughts on that one.

I had a couple of reliant regals that seemed to overheat a lot I always put it down to the cylinder liners wearing I ended swapping the engine out, what's your thoughts on that one.
Might to a point but not had any that would go well into red nearly boiling.Ive always found its the alloy block round steel liners that get a lot of gunk round them mainly no 4 very bad for it.Specially if its never had antifreeze.Use to always get them coming in with that problem flush block out.Trouble is dont always work almost like grit sand in some cases and wont budge.Thats why i said if worse comes to worse remove rear core and blast the bugger out.Least you can see if that is problem when core plugs out.Can normally remove a lot by scraping it out of head thats the sod that do,s a lot of over heating.To do actual block well say no more big job

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 20:23 ----------

By the way red regal had 6 cylinder Rover the black Robin had 4 cylinder Vauxhall and box lol.

Might to a point but not had any that would go well into red nearly boiling.Ive always found its the alloy block round steel liners that get a lot of gunk round them mainly no 4 very bad for it.Specially if its never had antifreeze.Use to always get them coming in with that problem flush block out.Trouble is dont always work almost like grit sand in some cases and wont budge.Thats why i said if worse comes to worse remove rear core and blast the bugger out.Least you can see if that is problem when core plugs out.Can normally remove a lot by scraping it out of head thats the sod that do,s a lot of over heating.To do actual block well say no more big job

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 20:23 ----------

By the way red regal had 6 cylinder Rover the black Robin had 4 cylinder Vauxhall and box lol.

I can remember you fitting a big engine in one of them, remember that old 1950s reliant I had and I painted it light blue it looked like one of those disabled cars:hihi:

The cylinder liners go thin and they seem to heat the water jacket up like mad its called heat transference or somthing seen it lots of times in the past.get the 850 engine put in they are a lot better engine. easy job changing the engine on them do it from under the car bit fiddly but not a big job.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 14:14 ----------

Terminator is an old friend of mine known him for years we worked together at one time ask him about the robin he stuck a big six cylinder engine in.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 14:45 ----------

I know you say you have looked at it but I do know the water pumps can be a bit dodgy on them as well. the impeller has a habit of coming loose on the shaft and you can easily overlook it as it still spins when you flick it but it does not turn on the belt drive as it has come loose on the shaft.hold the pulley and try turning the impeller fan if it moves around while you are holding the drive pulley chances are it will not be circulating the water round.

Hi yes I gave it a good inspection all ok. Very much doubt there will be any serious ware on cylinders due to compression test.

I did actually know about Terminators Robin with Vauxhall engine asked him if he could put a big engine in mine told me to Fxxx OFF :hihi:

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 00:56 ----------

Ya hi mate are you OK.
Is that Tom that worked with Terminator on motor bikes in that yard if so I had a look at a Yamaha YDS7 250 in blue. can not Remember what was wrong with it at time as I was interested but it was not for sale when I come to look.

Hi yes I gave it a good inspection all ok. Very much doubt there will be any serious ware on cylinders due to compression test.

I did actually know about Terminators Robin with Vauxhall engine asked him if he could put a big engine in mine told me to Fxxx OFF :hihi:

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 00:56 ----------

Is that Tom that worked with Terminator on motor bikes in that yard if so I had a look at a Yamaha YDS7 250 in blue. can not Remember what was wrong with it at time as I was interested but it was not for sale when I come to look.

Yes you got me. me and terminator {john}ran a little motorbike shop on staniforth road for a while we sold a lot of bikes from there at one time, he was into the jap bikes and I did the british bikes.happy days,had some good times then.

Yes you got me. me and terminator {john}ran a little motorbike shop on staniforth road for a while we sold a lot of bikes from there at one time, he was into the jap bikes and I did the british bikes.happy days,had some good times then.

Blast from the past Tom.I can still hear your mother today giving you a ear full about that Suzuki X7 remember having to take it over to your pad in Chapeltown :hihi:

Blast from the past Tom.I can still hear your mother today giving you a ear full about that Suzuki X7 remember having to take it over to your pad in Chapeltown :hihi:

She was a right pain in the arse she is still around, my old man kicked the bucket a few years back. remember my lad Tom he is 37 now and he is a mechanic running a garage in Kings lynn.

Archived