Petty rules and jobsworths

I wanted to buy some cigars for someone but was not sure what brand they smoked by name.

However I thought that I might recognise the packet if I saw it so whilst buying a newspaper at Morrisons Hillsborough I asked the lady to open the shutter door so that I could look.

"we are not allowed to do that...it's against the law"

Couldn't be bothered to argue other than to say well that's bloody stupid ,whether on the part of the law,Morrisons,or the sales "assistant!!!!!??????",I don't know.:huh:

I personaly dont see how hiding the fags behind a slideing door would prevent anyone from smoking.... I would have thought that it would make it more tempting.

Plus as geared was saying you can still see them when they slide the doors open to get other customers cigs.

There are still shops that that dont have slideing doors to hide the fags, Our local coop doesnt have them hid?? So thats illegal is it?

I can't see why Supermarkets are still selling tobacco products anyway? The profit margin is negligible! The sliding door requirement is determined by the floorspace of the store, so a small supermarket doesn't have to have sliding doors ...

I was told the same once in a supermarket too. However I did argue the point. I said if you're not allowed to open the doors and I ask for a particular product, how are you going to fulfil my request? You will have to open the cupboards to get my choice. She just gave me a blank look. Like the OP I was buying some cigs for someone else at the time and couldn't remember the brand name, so I eventually said, ok, well I'll have 20 <insert random brand name here>, as she opened the cabinet, I saw the product I did actually wan't, and then said...no...I've changed my mind I'll have 20 <insert correct brand name here>...What a circus!

If it is illegal then if it stops one person taking up smoking I am all for it.

I just knew that would happen.There are enough rabid anti smoking comments on here without starting another thanks.

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 12:43 ----------

I can't see why Supermarkets are still selling tobacco products anyway? The profit margin is negligible! The sliding door requirement is determined by the floorspace of the store, so a small supermarket doesn't have to have sliding doors ...

Could it be because some people want to buy them...that's if they are prepared to stand in the queue behind people wasting their money on lottery tickets.

I just knew that would happen.There are enough rabid anti smoking comments on here without starting another thanks.

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 12:43 ----------

Could it be because some people want to buy them...that's if they are prepared to stand in the queue behind people wasting their money on lottery tickets.

You're a smoker then?

It's ridiculous! It's Anti smokers in power who are making these stupid rules trying to be awkward, shutters won't beat an addiction, I was in Sainsburys the other day and was stood in a long que waiting to buy some cigs, when it was my turn I asked how much 20 stirling were, as I had not used this shop before, the assistant said there is a price list at the end of counter, I replied are you having a laugh, if I go and read that I'll have to go to the back of the que, she said sorry that's not my fault with an anti smoking smerk, I said you know the price why won't you just tell me! we are not allowed she replied, I said this shop should be called INSainsburys, and then went to a shop were I could see what I was buying, so saying it's illegal to sell cigs with out shutters is garbage, there are loads of shops, I wonder how many other shoppers have took their business elsewhere, haha and it was on the news the other day that Lord Sainbury was down on his profits, yeh! 20 Stirling down for starters. :loopy:

You're a smoker then?

How did you deduce that from what I have posted,and what's it got to do with this thread anyway.its about stupid laws and stupid people,not about smoking and anti smoking.

Archived