Petty rules and jobsworths

I think the biggest example of a jobsworth I have ever experience was after the previous bank holiday at the local Co-op.

I went to grab a drink after a heavy night out, and at the time decided to try my luck and asked for a scratch card. The woman behind the desk refused to serve me for lack of I.D. Now I would have accepted that had I looked young, but I'm 22, I hadn't shaved for a week or so, and looked pretty rough with a hangover. If this wasn't enough for her, I was also wearing my Uni hoody (which I know anyone can buy, but it was pretty obvious)

Instead of arguing I chuckled and just said fair enough. Still could not believe it.

Display as a consequence of a requested display

4.—(1) This regulation applies where a requested display(1) is made to an individual (“A”) aged 18 or over.

(2) No offence is committed under section 7A(1) of the Act (prohibition of tobacco displays) by a display of tobacco products in a storage unit, to individuals other than A, if—

(a)the display— .

(i)is solely as a consequence of the requested display, and .

(ii)lasts for no longer than is necessary to remove the requested product from the storage unit; and .

(b)the area of storage unit displayed does not exceed 0.75 square metres. .

(3) No offence is committed under section 7A(1) of the Act (prohibition of tobacco displays) by a display of tobacco products other than in a storage unit, to individuals other than A, if the display—

(a)is solely as a consequence of the requested display; and .

(b)lasts for no longer than the requested display. .

(4) In this regulation, “the requested product” means the product which A asked to purchase or for information about.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/445/regulation/4/made

Is that the reason, because supermarkets have large display areas that exceed 0.75 square meters?

Is that the reason, because supermarkets have large display areas that exceed 0.75 square meters?

I wouldn't have thought so. All those I've seen have pretty narrow sliding partitions, which (I don't know) are probably measured to comply with the square metre requirements. I suspect it's more to do with whatever staff training regimes they have, and 'that' being a bit over zealous in erring on being safe rather than sued. Litigation culture rears it's head again!

The bottom line is that the silly regulations put the blame onto the individual serving. Not the fat cats in the head office, nor the owners of said shops. Its the boys and girl behind the till who can be held personally liable and personally fined for either underage serving or breaking the display of tobacco rules.

Would you take the risk for your minimum wage salary?

YES the law is rediculous. YES it is not going to stop people smoking. However, its not as stright forward as these people being a jobsworth.

I certainly would chance an xx thousand pound fine just because someone asks to look not buy.

Direct your anger at those who made the stupid laws not the bod behind the counter. Its not their fault.

Dont you think they feel stupid when they have to keep cigs behind a screen like a peep show or they have to ask someone who clearly is over 25 for ID. They are just following orders.

The bottom line is that the silly regulations put the blame onto the individual serving. Not the fat cats in the head office, nor the owners of said shops. Its the boys and girl behind the till who can be held personally liable and personally fined for either underage serving or breaking the display of tobacco rules.

Would you take the risk for your minimum wage salary?

YES the law is rediculous. YES it is not going to stop people smoking. However, its not as stright forward as these people being a jobsworth.

I certainly would chance an xx thousand pound fine just because someone asks to look not buy.

Direct your anger at those who made the stupid laws not the bod behind the counter. Its not their fault.

Dont you think they feel stupid when they have to keep cigs behind a screen like a peep show or they have to ask someone who clearly is over 25 for ID. They are just following orders.

You may well be absolutely right. But I would have thought that both the individual 'and' the shop owner / manager would also be liable. I'm no lawyer, so I can't comment really, but I'd be surprised if was only the minimum wage employee alone who would face the fines.

Also, you might want to edit your post, you say "I certainly 'would' chance xx fine"....I'm assuming that should be 'wouldn't'....eeeek!

I thought you were a lawyer, or a legal type or something?

If the onus is on the sales assistant then there's no wonder they are cautious, I wouldn't muck around showing everyone cigars if it meant I could loose an entire months pay check in a fine.

You may well be absolutely right. But I would have thought that both the individual 'and' the shop owner / manager would also be liable. I'm no lawyer, so I can't comment really, but I'd be surprised if was only the minimum wage employee alone who would face the fines.

Also, you might want to edit your post, you say "I certainly 'would' chance xx fine"....I'm assuming that should be 'wouldn't'....eeeek!

Its complicated - although as long as the licensee can show they have done all reasonable training and due diligence it can be far easier for them to be discharged from liability. The law still seems to put an onus very much on the individual seller.

This is part of the problem.

Good point. Same could be said for alcoholic products.

No what next put all food behind shutters because it makes people fat, just another example of the pathetic nanny state we live in. People smoke & drink, but you don't see the smokers & drinkers on here starting threads to get them hung drawn & quartered.

Lets face it before Roy Castle said I got cancer player the trumpet in smoky clubs, people have been hysterical, what would his excuse have been if he couldn't play an instrument but still got it.

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 18:48 ----------

I think the biggest example of a jobsworth I have ever experience was after the previous bank holiday at the local Co-op.

I went to grab a drink after a heavy night out, and at the time decided to try my luck and asked for a scratch card. The woman behind the desk refused to serve me for lack of I.D. Now I would have accepted that had I looked young, but I'm 22, I hadn't shaved for a week or so, and looked pretty rough with a hangover. If this wasn't enough for her, I was also wearing my Uni hoody (which I know anyone can buy, but it was pretty obvious)

Instead of arguing I chuckled and just said fair enough. Still could not believe it.

Bit like the 91 year old woman refused a bottle of scotch as she didn't have ID come on use some bloody gumption.:loopy::rant:

There has been talk about banning E Cigs in pubs, flippin hell what next, for godsake don't walk in a pub after having a curry the night before, you'll probably end up getting barred if someone whiffs a bit of Garlic. :hihi:

Archived