Petty rules and jobsworths

There has been talk about banning E Cigs in pubs, flippin hell what next, for godsake don't walk in a pub after having a curry the night before, you'll probably end up getting barred if someone whiffs a bit of Garlic. :hihi:

The problem here is not the e-cigs, or any negligable smell, but the problems caused by other people thinking they should be allowed to smoke actual cigarettes in the same place (and then taking offence when told to put it out).

If I was running a pub, I would happily ban any e-cigs which are designed to look like a real cigarette, especially the ones with a little red/orange light in the end which glows and flickers when you exhale. There's no reason the e-cigs can't be styled differently so that the hard of thinking can't confuse them.

The problem here is not the e-cigs, or any negligable smell, but the problems caused by other people thinking they should be allowed to smoke actual cigarettes in the same place (and then taking offence when told to put it out).

If I was running a pub, I would happily ban any e-cigs which are designed to look like a real cigarette, especially the ones with a little red/orange light in the end which glows and flickers when you exhale. There's no reason the e-cigs can't be styled differently so that the hard of thinking can't confuse them.

How Petty, did you think up the idea of the shutters hiding cigs in shops, or most definitely someone like you.:loopy:

How Petty

No, it's a fair assessment of the problem at hand. Like I said, I have no problem with the e-cigs not styled to look like real fags. And my only issue with those is that idiots use them as an excuse to break the law.

I see exactly the same problem all the time whenever the same people go into a room containing a smoke machine "There's haze in the air, so OF COURSE the law banning smoking indoors can't apply in here, I must spark up immediately" and then getting upset / angry when told to put it out.

Used to see the same response from people smoking weed being adamant that they were smoking tobacco and being completely oblivious / denying that it could be smelt from 10 yards away.

I work in a supermarket and am quite often in the kiosk, yes its true I have to direct customers to a typed price list rather than inform them of the prices, yes its true I have to keep the doors closed so customers cannot browse the tobacco stock, im not being a jobsworth im simply just doing my job! As directed by management and the law, I can be the subject of a large fine and or disciplinry action or even sacked for not following the directive, similar to liscensing laws, I am a smoker and find these rules as silly as the next person but im not going to risk my livleyhood just because someone is too impatient to take a moment to check the pricelist etc, shops with over a certain meterage had to have doors in place immediately and the smaller shops will also have to comply by 2015 I believe, even the prices labels under the cigs on the shelves had to be changed to plain with no colour so as not to draw the customers eye to them in the few seconds the doors are opened! I have on many occasions had rude comments, swearing and insults aimed at me for just doing my job, the anger and insults are aimed at the wrong person, and seeing as its been like this for the best part of 2 years now its a little pathetic for people to still aim abuse at the sales assistant, and asking for ID for certain products is also law, some people that stand and want to argue with you over it would be the first to come after you if you sold any of the products to their underaged children!

I work in a supermarket and am quite often in the kiosk, yes its true I have to direct customers to a typed price list rather than inform them of the prices, yes its true I have to keep the doors closed so customers cannot browse the tobacco stock, im not being a jobsworth im simply just doing my job! As directed by management and the law, I can be the subject of a large fine and or disciplinry action or even sacked for not following the directive, similar to liscensing laws, I am a smoker and find these rules as silly as the next person but im not going to risk my livleyhood just because someone is too impatient to take a moment to check the pricelist etc, shops with over a certain meterage had to have doors in place immediately and the smaller shops will also have to comply by 2015 I believe, even the prices labels under the cigs on the shelves had to be changed to plain with no colour so as not to draw the customers eye to them in the few seconds the doors are opened! I have on many occasions had rude comments, swearing and insults aimed at me for just doing my job, the anger and insults are aimed at the wrong person, and seeing as its been like this for the best part of 2 years now its a little pathetic for people to still aim abuse at the sales assistant, and asking for ID for certain products is also law, some people that stand and want to argue with you over it would be the first to come after you if you sold any of the products to their underaged children!

Couple of factual points.

There is a big difference between that which is required by law, that which is instructed to staff by the stores and (sometimes) the staff's own interpretation.

There is no law that says you must ask for ID when selling alcohol or tobacco products.

There is no law that says you cannot open the shutters to show a person over the age of 18 what is on your shelves.

I'm not having all this rubbish about fines ect, it's ridiculous and bad customer service when a customer just ask the price of an item you can't tell em, who is running these supermarkets MI5, what law says when a customer says how much are 20 Sterling please the person behind the counter can't say £6.40 ect, it's just being awkward and acting clever, making some go and look at a price list then having to rejoin the que, it reminds me of a scene from meet the Fockers when Gaylord Focker tries to get on a plane at check in, if you have seen the film you will know what I'm on about and it's happening every day in these daft shops.:loopy:

I'm not having all this rubbish about fines ect, it's ridiculous and bad customer service when a customer just ask the price of an item you can't tell em, who is running these supermarkets MI5, what law says when a customer says how much are 20 Sterling please the person behind the counter can't say £6.40 ect, it's just being awkward and acting clever, making some go and look at a price list then having to rejoin the que, it reminds me of a scene from meet the Fockers when Gaylord Focker tries to get on a plane at check in, if you have seen the film you will know what I'm on about and it's happening every day in these daft shops.:loopy:

You cannot expect any shop assistant (or bar staff, for that matter) to know the price of any product that they sell.

The just don't know.

They just scan the barcodes and tell you the total of your basket.

No what next put all food behind shutters because it makes people fat, just another example of the pathetic nanny state we live in. People smoke & drink, but you don't see the smokers & drinkers on here starting threads to get them hung drawn & quartered.

Lets face it before Roy Castle said I got cancer player the trumpet in smoky clubs, people have been hysterical, what would his excuse have been if he couldn't play an instrument but still got it.

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 18:48 ----------

Bit like the 91 year old woman refused a bottle of scotch as she didn't have ID come on use some bloody gumption.:loopy::rant:

Yeah, I've always remembered when my dad (45, going grey, the works) was in Morrisons and when the lass on the checkout asked him ''Are you 21'' he replied with ''Well not really'' and she said ''I'm sorry but we have to ask now''

I can agree with that, but not when it's THAT obvious lol.

Couple of factual points.

There is a big difference between that which is required by law, that which is instructed to staff by the stores and (sometimes) the staff's own interpretation.

There is no law that says you must ask for ID when selling alcohol or tobacco products.

There is no law that says you cannot open the shutters to show a person over the age of 18 what is on your shelves.

There is a law that mandates significant personal fines and massive corporate fines for selling to underage customers though, which clearly drives the ID policies.

You cannot expect any shop assistant (or bar staff, for that matter) to know the price of any product that they sell.

The just don't know.

They just scan the barcodes and tell you the total of your basket.

The prices are written on the shelving under each brand if not they could get a packet out and scan them, its called being helpful and not being awkward and it's not against any laws.

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 22:50 ----------

There is a law that mandates significant personal fines and massive corporate fines for selling to underage customers though, which clearly drives the ID policies.

hey up! who's on about underage.:loopy:

Archived