Petty rules and jobsworths

hey up! who's on about underage.:loopy:

The poster I responded to. Do try to keep up.

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 22:57 ----------

via incompetent management ... yes.

Well you say that but could you tell with 100% accuracy that any 15 year old wasn't 18 or any 25 year olds were not 17 without ID? If your job/business depended on it?

Couple of factual points.

There is a big difference between that which is required by law, that which is instructed to staff by the stores and (sometimes) the staff's own interpretation.

There is no law that says you must ask for ID when selling alcohol or tobacco products.

There is no law that says you cannot open the shutters to show a person over the age of 18 what is on your shelves.

Your'e wrong im afraid, there is in fact a law, I dont know how to post links but you can google it, its the tobacco display ban now effective in england northern ireland scotland and wales, the store can be convicted of a criminal offence and receive hefty fines, but im only one of the bodies that simply just works there and as such I have to do as im instructed regardless of customers not agreeing with it, its not my rules or regulations so no point argueing with me about it, my original answer was toward the op, we arent a jobsworth just because he thinks the law shoulnt apply to him we are just doing as we've been instructed to do, simple as that, I am not going to risk my job

Your'e wrong im afraid, there is in fact a law, I dont know how to post links but you can google it, its the tobacco display ban now effective in england northern ireland scotland and wales, the store can be convicted of a criminal offence and receive hefty fines, but im only one of the bodies that simply just works there and as such I have to do as im instructed regardless of customers not agreeing with it, its not my rules or regulations so no point argueing with me about it, my original answer was toward the op, we arent a jobsworth just because he thinks the law shoulnt apply to him we are just doing as we've been instructed to do, simple as that, I am not going to risk my job

OK,so I've looked the law up for myself and it says that the display can be revealed for the minimum amount of time to a customer who is over 18 and wishes to make a purchase or to view the goods.

So we now narrow it down to my request not being unlawful,and the reason being that either Morrisons management wrongly advising their sales assistants,or the sales assistant not understanding what the management has instructed.

I retract the jobsworth slur,but i would be interested in your clarification of the situation after discussion with your manager at whichever shop you work at.

OK,so I've looked the law up for myself and it says that the display can be revealed for the minimum amount of time to a customer who is over 18 and wishes to make a purchase or to view the goods.

So we now narrow it down to my request not being unlawful,and the reason being that either Morrisons management wrongly advising their sales assistants,or the sales assistant not understanding what the management has instructed.

I retract the jobsworth slur,but i would be interested in your clarification of the situation after discussion with your manager at whichever shop you work at.

I dont need to clarify anything really, im at work so I do as im told to whilst there, if you want clarification on the subject then any manager at any store would probably be more than happy to discuss it with you, im not a spokesperson for the shop I work in I just simply took exception being labelled a jobsworth for doing my job as im sure the assisant you dealt with was too, its just unfortunate that when a shop or store implements any type of rule, regulation or law that the poor sod face to face with customers on shop floor are the ones that get all the abuse

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 03:11 ----------

I'm not having all this rubbish about fines ect, it's ridiculous and bad customer service when a customer just ask the price of an item you can't tell em, who is running these supermarkets MI5, what law says when a customer says how much are 20 Sterling please the person behind the counter can't say £6.40 ect, it's just being awkward and acting clever, making some go and look at a price list then having to rejoin the que, it reminds me of a scene from meet the Fockers when Gaylord Focker tries to get on a plane at check in, if you have seen the film you will know what I'm on about and it's happening every day in these daft shops.:loopy:

Stupid post

No he/she isn't.

I think most of us would have no argument with the phrases: "Smoking is bad for your health. You should not smoke." but if a company is going to be allowed to sell cigarettes, then surely it's more than slightly silly to forbid them to tell people the price?

I can see why you might want to stop retailers from saying "3 quid off per pack" or whatever, but other than that, it's more than a bit silly to 'pretend' that the price is some sort of 'national secret'.

I've argued this before. I"ll argue it again.

This year, the minimum age for buying tobacco is 18 years. Let it be 19 years next year.

Let it be 20 years the year after.

21 the Year after that.

It'll take a while, but eventually only old farts like me will be able to buy tobacco and we'll all be long dead ... most of us don't smoke, anyway.

The Brits are renowned (in Europe) for 'Making life difficult for themselves'.

Why do you do it?

If a greengrocer sells you a pound of bananas, he risks going to jail. If I asked a Parisian greengrocer for a Pound of bananas - no problem.

If I asked the local (Turkish) greengrocer for a pound of bananas, he's say "What's a Pound?"

I'd day "$454 g"

He'd stick some bananas on the scale, say: "It's a bit over ...500g. Is that OK?

I'd either say "Yes" or "take one off".

He'd do it.

Nobody goes to jail.

It doesn't hit the newspapers.

Then again, I don't live in England.

I dont need to clarify anything really, im at work so I do as im told to whilst there, if you want clarification on the subject then any manager at any store would probably be more than happy to discuss it with you, im not a spokesperson for the shop I work in I just simply took exception being labelled a jobsworth for doing my job as im sure the assisant you dealt with was too, its just unfortunate that when a shop or store implements any type of rule, regulation or law that the poor sod face to face with customers on shop floor are the ones that get all the abuse

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 03:11 ----------

Stupid post

You would say that, your one of the culprits I'm on about. :hihi:

I work in a supermarket and am quite often in the kiosk, yes its true I have to direct customers to a typed price list rather than inform them of the prices, SNIP>

I completely understand, you're just doing your job. However, I've looked at those price lists, and the typeface used is so tiny, I can't actually read it! Ok my eyes ain't what they used to be, but I've seen lots of people screwing their eyes and squinting to try and read the list. Is there a law I wonder which dictates the size of the typeface on the provided price list?

BTW...yes I do have some reading glasses, but more often than not, I wouldn't take them shopping with me.

I completely understand, you're just doing your job. However, I've looked at those price lists, and the typeface used is so tiny, I can't actually read it! Ok my eyes ain't what they used to be, but I've seen lots of people screwing their eyes and squinting to try and read the list. Is there a law I wonder which dictates the size of the typeface on the provided price list?

BTW...yes I do have some reading glasses, but more often than not, I wouldn't take them shopping with me.

A great point. mind you some idiot will state there is a law saying the print HAS to be a certain size, that would make my day. :hihi:

Archived