Petty rules and jobsworths

A great point. mind you some idiot will state there is a law saying the print HAS to be a certain size, that would make my day. :hihi:

Well, I don't know about 'idiot'...that's a bit harsh! But what about if someone is actually illiterate? How embarrassing to be stood in a queue and admit that! What about where English is not someone's 'first' language? What about in my case, if I politely said, I'm really sorry, I don't have my spectacles with me and I can't read the typeface, would you mind having a look at the list and tell me how much 20 <whatever> cigs are please?

Well, I don't know about 'idiot'...that's a bit harsh! But what about if someone is actually illiterate? How embarrassing to be stood in a queue and admit that! What about where English is not someone's 'first' language? What about in my case, if I politely said, I'm really sorry, I don't have my spectacles with me and I can't read the typeface, would you mind having a look at the list and tell me how much 20 <whatever> cigs are please?

It's the only word that springs to mind about people who make these thoughtless rules just to get one over on the smokers, I repeat as in Sainburys why not put the price list on the counter in front of you, NO! they put it down the other end so you have to leave the que, then in some cases people have to then wrestle with the small print, what should I call these inconsiderate people who make these rules.:huh:

I thought all shops had to have shutters hiding the cigs......but there are still loads of shops with them still on display, are they breaking the law.?

No, it's something to do with the area of floorspace the shop has. basically the bigger shops have to have them now, and the smaller outlets don't (at the moment). But I think it's by 2015, that they will all be required to have the shutters.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 09:50 ----------

It's the only word that springs to mind about people who make these thoughtless rules just to get one over on the smokers, I repeat as in Sainburys why not put the price list on the counter in front of you, NO! they put it down the other end so you have to leave the que, then in some cases people have to then wrestle with the small print, what should I call these inconsiderate people who make these rules.:huh:

Inconsiderate and thoughtless perhaps?...:hihi:

No, it's something to do with the area of floorspace the shop has. basically the bigger shops have to have them now, and the smaller outlets don't (at the moment). But I think it's by 2015, that they will all be required to have the shutters.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 09:50 ----------

Inconsiderate and thoughtless perhaps?...:hihi:

I could think quite easily of other words. :hihi: another brain wave from these people, are the smaller outlets going to grow bigger floor space by 2015.:hihi: the whole concept is floored and ridiculous and the worse thing about it we just stand back and let it happen, I'm still in favour of standing outside public buildings and having a cig whilst them who made the rules smoke inside parliment buildings.:suspect:

The Brits are renowned (in Europe) for 'Making life difficult for themselves'.

Why do you do it?

If a greengrocer sells you a pound of bananas, he risks going to jail. If I asked a Parisian greengrocer for a Pound of bananas - no problem.

If I asked the local (Turkish) greengrocer for a pound of bananas, he's say "What's a Pound?"

I'd day "$454 g"

He'd stick some bananas on the scale, say: "It's a bit over ...500g. Is that OK?

I'd either say "Yes" or "take one off".

He'd do it.

Nobody goes to jail.

It doesn't hit the newspapers.

Then again, I don't live in England.

The reason we do it is because the country is full of thicko jobsworths with no common sense.

The reason we do it is because the country is full of thicko jobsworths with no common sense.

Actually no! Yes there are 'some' jobsworth's around. But as Bassy pointed out earlier, she's neither a jobsworth or thick. She's just trying to earn a crust, and if anything it's the bosses and 'rule makers' that are the problem. I think you'll find it always leads back to the litigation culture we have in this country.

Actually no! Yes there are 'some' jobsworth's around. But as Bassy pointed out earlier, she's neither a jobsworth or thick. She's just trying to earn a crust, and if anything it's the bosses and 'rule makers' that are the problem. I think you'll find it always leads back to the litigation culture we have in this country.

Actually I should have made it plain that I wasn't referring to Bassy but the lower management type who interpret rules and regs in a way that is outside of their meaning, just in case "it's more than their jobs worth"

Rupert hit the nail on the head.

I dont need to clarify anything really, im at work so I do as im told to whilst there, if you want clarification on the subject then any manager at any store would probably be more than happy to discuss it with you, im not a spokesperson for the shop I work in I just simply took exception being labelled a jobsworth for doing my job as im sure the assisant you dealt with was too, its just unfortunate that when a shop or store implements any type of rule, regulation or law that the poor sod face to face with customers on shop floor are the ones that get all the abuse

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 03:11 ----------

Stupid post

No you don't have to do anything.

Just accept a rule,apparently contrary to the legal requirement,and which makes both your job and the customers life more difficult.

Sometimes you just have to question what you are told to do.

If a greengrocer sells you a pound of bananas, he risks going to jail. If I asked a Parisian greengrocer for a Pound of bananas - no problem.

If I asked the local (Turkish) greengrocer for a pound of bananas, he's say "What's a Pound?"

I'd day "$454 g"

He'd stick some bananas on the scale, say: "It's a bit over ...500g. Is that OK?

I'd either say "Yes" or "take one off".

He'd do it.

Nobody goes to jail.

It doesn't hit the newspapers.

Then again, I don't live in England.

No grocer will go to jail for selling you a pound weight of any goods, provided it's measured out on a metric scale. I can buy a pound of anything, the grocer masses out 450g of it, and that's that.

Just the same as it is in Paris, except they invariably just give you a half kilo in my experience for "un livre"

Archived