Why do MPs abstain from voting?

Maybe it's because they weren't in parliament to vote, like if they're making an 'important political trip' to Barbados or something.

If that is the case I see no reason why a postal vote cannot be arranged.

compulsory voting is wrong and every voter should have the right to abstain if they do not want to vote for either candidate in an election or either for and against a particular motion in an assembly. People can genuinely don't know whether they are for it, or against it.

I'm sure you would not like it if somebody compulsorily forced you to vote for a candidate in a US election and that you yourself would not be pleased if your own right to abstain was impacted upon.

compulsory voting is wrong and every voter should have the right to abstain if they do not want to vote for either candidate in an election or either for and against a particular motion in an assembly. People can genuinely don't know whether they are for it, or against it.

I'm sure you would not like it if somebody compulsorily forced you to vote for a candidate in a US election and that you yourself would not be pleased if your own right to abstain was impacted upon.

Er, MPs are paid to be our representatives and vote.

As Blair once said,' We should never forget, that you are our masters'.

sometimes MP's abstain because, although they are a member of a party, they do not agree with the party's stance on a particular policy

sometimes (more rarely) they abstain because there is a conflict between their party's policy and their constituency interests

Aren't they there to represent their constituents, not the party?

no not just to represent their constituents. MP's have other interests too. Their party's interest. The national interest. Or even their own interest. If anybody thinks the MP for Sheffield Central is there just to be the representative for Sheffield Central and for nothing else, then they'd better think again.

Aren't they there to represent their constituents, not the party?

in the strictest literal sense of the words, yes they represent their constituents

but that doesn't mean they reflect their constituents' wishes - most MPs are elected on minority votes (i.e. they don't get more than half the electorate voting for them) so they are only representing the wishes of a minority

in most cases they are only elected because of the party they belong to

but they are supposed to put the best interests of their constituency before their party - for example - it may be party policy to support building a nuclear power station in a particular area (or a high speed rail link or an airport extension or the closure of a coal mine/steelworks or whatever) but if it conflicts with the best interests of the majority of your constituents you should not support it - a decent MP would vote against - a less brave or confident MP would abstain

Archived