Smoking and Children

I think common sense needs to prevail here. I wouldn't let anyone, including myself near my son while they are smoking.

When he was a new born, I washed and stayed away from him for 20/30 minutes. That's what the midwife told me was best.

As for changing clothes and staying away from them for an hour.....rubbish! Don't believe everything you read. I was taken into smoke filled pubs when I was a baby. I don't have asthma. I used to smoke 20 a day, plus cannabis, through all sorts of contraptions. I still don't have asthma or breathing difficulties.

I agree that smoking in front of a baby is a no no but don't cars and buses also pump out carbo monoxide and other harmful chemicals. Especially if you think that a baby in a pram is at the same level as bus and car exhausts.

Don't you remember the days when you'd go out on a pub crawl and your clothes would reek with smoke when you got home even when you didn't smoke? Smoking is a disgusting habit. If people want to give themselves cancer and smell like a skunk let them. But non-smokers choose not to.

The word is choice. Non-smokers choose not to smoke, get cancer and stink. So they don't want such things imposed on them. Non-smokers don't inflict their filth on people in the way smokers do.

How many marathon-runners drop down dead as a proportion compared to the number of smokers who get cancer as a proportion? How many smokers get gold medals for their efforts?

How do smokers project 'filth' onto you when they have to smoke outdoors?? You're right, It's about choice and you have the choice to keep away from smokers. You can't have it both ways!!

My parents and grandparents used to think nothing of taking us out in the car and smoking with the windows closed...even when we were babies. But then we never had car seats either! Guess H&S wasn't such a big deal back then, which is why the older generation don't see the harm in holding a baby in a top that may smell of smoke.

You need to find a common ground here....maybe suggest meeting somewhere neutral like a restaurant or cafe instead.

We used to smoke in the car, so did my parents and the in-laws. But we did open the windows if the kids were in the back. ;) I really regret being a smoker when my children were small. But it was the 70s, and it was cool. :cool: We weren't educated about the dangers of smoking, never mind passive smoking.

My OH and I have been stopped for nearly 20 years now, and I hate the smell of stale smoke. Once I'd stopped, I realised just what we'd inflicted on our kids, one of whom hates cigs with a passion. She's a nurse and sees the damage it can do. No-one in our family smokes any more, so at least our grandchildren don't have to put up with what their parents did.

Such rot SOME people are talking on here.

The way some of these overprotective parents are going on these kids will be dead at 30. No exposure to germs / toxins / pollution / radiation / dirt / animals / non organic pure foods / anything other than water etc...etc...

All this wrapping up the little darling in cotton wool is just rediculous.

YES smoking round a child is bad. But dont tell me that clothing is now harmful. Jesus tonight, if we are talking about toxins lingering in the fabric - ever looked at the contents of most washing detergents, cosmetics, perfumes and deoderants. Any idea of what airborne crap will become in contact with such clothing just between walking from the car into a house. Ever thought of what might happen if you keep a child in an entirely sterile environment 24/7. What about germs and toxins all over the childs own clothes. Just what is in those cleaning products and baby wipes. How about (god forbid) the air they breathe all day. Ever looked into how much dead skin, microbes of faeces, dust mite droppings and other substances gather in blankets, bedding, carpets...

SHOCK HORROR. Lets grow up a bit here - its pathetic!!. An occasional faint wiff of bensons on my t-shirt is hardly going to be harmful to the child. If it really is that much of a problem then I can guarantee the first time the little brat steps outdoors they are a goner

Well that's where you're wrong I am NOT repeat NOT a SMOKER, I have been stopped almost 8 years now, just get fed up of goody two shoes people dragging smokers down.

Smoking is a life choice, same as not smoking, but you don't see people saying ban non smokers from pubs, perhaps they should; smokers might enjoy their nights out more.:rant::rant:

We all know that smoking can be harmful and you don't do it in front of nippers, but clinging to stories like on clothes is utter BS. On the other hand that argument gets blown out of the water as people get cancer, heart attacks, and such and they have never picked up a fag in their lives or had a drink.

It's life it doesn't matter if you're tall, small, fat, thin, healthy or unhealthy when your numbers up its up. Look how many supposedly fit people drop dead at the end of a marathon or half marathon, there's never a call to ban those.

That's fatalistic nonsense, perpetuated by people who don't want to take responsibility for their actions.

My point was about the clothes never been clean too, but nothing would have stopped them coming round to see her, even if it meant they didn't hold her. I just wanted to know if people thought I was been unreasonable for protecting my daughter from the effects of someone else's bad habit?

Protecting your daughter from the smell of smoke? What about the smell of fabric softener? or washing powder? What chemicals are in those?

Fair enough, you don't want your baby near people who smoke, but get a grip!

Protecting your daughter from the smell of smoke? What about the smell of fabric softener? or washing powder? What chemicals are in those?

Fair enough, you don't want your baby near people who smoke, but get a grip!

When fabric softeners come with health warnings on the bottles that argument might be valid.

Archived