Smoking and Children

When fabric softeners come with health warnings on the bottles that argument might be valid.

Same as when cigarette cartons say, don't hold a child for sixty minutes after having a fag, see typical you want it both bloody ways.

When fabric softeners come with health warnings on the bottles that argument might be valid.

They do. Big words on the back of the tub "keep away from children"

Also contains cationic surfactants which may cause skin irritations, benzisothiazolinone which may cause irritations to the skin, eyes and lungs and benzyl alcohol which at a too high level may result in toxic effects including respiratory failure, vasodilation, hypotension, convulsions, and paralysis.

Bear in mind that a child will be snuggling their nose and mouth into said clothing there is a chance that they will be directly breathing that lot in.. mmmm nice eh.

That should panic the yummy mummies and eco nuts.

I see your name mirrors your IQ

That's a shame, I thought you were going to show more of your 'numbers up' research.

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 18:43 ----------

They do. Big words on the back of the tub "keep away from children"

Start a new thread on the dangers of fabric softener, maybe a campaign to sell it in plain bottles.

Having to breathe in other peoples noxious fumes is a little more than a petty prejudice.

Hardly surprising at £6.50 a packet.But as an ex smoker I now believe it should be £20.

You must be buying cigs from the wrong place........ where i "Shop" they are only £3.20 or £7 for Bacca .............. less than half price............ bargain.

That's a shame, I thought you were going to show more of your 'numbers up' research.

Perhaps you'd like to expand on that snide comment as my comments were actually factual, where yours are just malicious digs. The following sentence in bold is 100% true.

I was talking to a friend the other day and she has a friend who'd died of cancer at 40, never smoked, never drank, exercised, fit as a flea and she said if I can get cancer anyone can. You don't need to smoke or drink to get these diseases, and as soon as you see this you'll perhaps understand.

It's life it doesn't matter if you're tall, small, fat, thin, healthy or unhealthy when your numbers up its up. Look how many supposedly fit people drop dead at the end of a marathon or half marathon, there's never a call to ban those.

That's fatalistic nonsense, perpetuated by people who don't want to take responsibility for their actions.

I see your name mirrors your IQ

Smoking will not extend your life expectancy. Nor will it add to the quality of your life.

[quote

Whenever someone smokes, toxic particulate matter gets into that person's hair and clothes. In addition, a smoker exhales toxins for several minutes after extinguishing the cigarette.

When a smoker comes into contact with your baby, even if she's not smoking at the time, your baby is exposed to those toxins. And if you're a smoker and you breastfeed, the toxins are transferred to your baby through your breast milk. (Even if you're a smoker, though, nursing your baby is better than bottle-feeding her.)

Also, smoking inside your home isn't safe even when your baby's not there. The toxic particulates from the smoke settle on surfaces throughout the house and stay there long after the visible smoke dissipates. Pediatrician Jonathan Winickoff at the American Academy of Pediatrics' Richmond Center and Harvard Medical School coined the term "thirdhand" smoke to describe this kind of tobacco-smoke contamination.

It's all about risk and perspective. Toxins linger. But what risk does this pose? Is it say, as dangerous as walking down the street breathing in car fumes? How often do the grandparents visit? Is it a case of lingering toxins for a few minutes once a week?

If the exposure and the risk is not big, then maybe better to put up with it for the sake of bringing up the baby in a happy family circle. If the grandparents were blowing smoke rings into the pram, then definitely something to put a stop to. Some battles are worth fighting, others aren't.

I agree that smoking in front of a baby is a no no but don't cars and buses also pump out carbo monoxide and other harmful chemicals. Especially if you think that a baby in a pram is at the same level as bus and car exhausts.

I probably wouldn't have a car running in the same room as a baby either.

Perhaps you'd like to expand on that snide comment as my comments were actually factual, where yours are just malicious digs. The following sentence in bold is 100% true.

I was talking to a friend the other day and she has a friend who'd died of cancer at 40, never smoked, never drank, exercised, fit as a flea and she said if I can get cancer anyone can. You don't need to smoke or drink to get these diseases, and as soon as you see this you'll perhaps understand.

It's life it doesn't matter if you're tall, small, fat, thin, healthy or unhealthy when your numbers up its up. Look how many supposedly fit people drop dead at the end of a marathon or half marathon, there's never a call to ban those.

You need to understand the difference between a 'fact' and an 'opinion'

[[/quote How often do the grandparents visit? Is it a case of lingering toxins for a few minutes once a week?

If the exposure and the risk is not big, then maybe better to put up with it for the sake of bringing up the baby in a happy family circle. If the grandparents were blowing smoke rings into the pram, then definitely something to put a stop to. Some battles are worth fighting, others aren't.

I have a feeling that the OP is using the smoking thing as an excuse for some other problem she has with the baby's grandparents. This doesn't sound like a happy family circle at all.

Archived