Pregnant woman refused by ferry

I have no idea, maybe she just has more faith in the British hospitals or wants to be near family. The baby will also be a British citizen by birth, and so be able to have a british passport. If they are considering returning to the UK in the future this might be better for them.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

She might be having it privately or at her parents home...who knows?

The rule will be there for a reason whether people agree with it or not and things going wrong during birth is a BIG insurance risk and litigation is common and payouts are (understandably ) high...

I note that her and her husband reside in Barcelona but she is coming back to the UK for the birth of her second baby, does this make her a health tourist, wonder where they pay tax, does the baby being born in UK give them better benefit entitlements?

How does this concern you in any way? If she wants to live in Barcelona and give birth in the UK she has every entitlement. Does everyone have to run their own personal lifestyle aspirations past you to get your authorisation?

..The baby will also be a British citizen by birth, and so be able to have a british passport. If they are considering returning to the UK in the future this might be better for them

This is not the case anymore.

Not Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

It's got nothing to do with the ferry company deciding where the baby should be born. - As far as they're concerned, she can have it anywhere. - Anywhere other than on their ship.

One of the first thing I learned as a young pilot was 'how to deliver a baby' - because (irrespective of the rules) people DO end up having babies on your aircraft or on your ferry.

If this woman had given birth, had there been a problem, had the ferry company 'failed' to have an Ob-Gyn and a nursing team on board, what valid exculpatory clause would there have been - in the contract of carriage or any other contract - to stop the mother, father, parents, etc from suing the Ferry Company?

The rules are there for a purpose. If you can read and understand them there shouldn't be a problem.

Are kids ever born unexpectedly? - You bet they are! I've delivered two. (Neither in an aircraft, but both some weeks before their mums expected them.)

It happens.

This is not the case anymore.

Not Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Really? They changed the rules?

A baby born in the UK to a British mother is no longer British?

PS: Just a note to posters who seem to be answering why she was refused from the ferry, I think the OP is more interested in what reasons the woman could have for wanting to give birth in the UK, rather than the reasons she was refused

This is not the case anymore. [/Quote]

Does that matter (particularly in the UK)?

EU law says that the spouse of an EU citizen shall be afforded entry to any EU country on the same grounds (and withth e same [lack of] limitations) as an EU citizen.

The law is applied, too.

My wife is not an EU citizen (but has been married to one for 30-odd years, so nobody is likey to mutter about 'a marriage of convenience'.

I was aware of the (fairly recent) changes in the law, and I thought I'd 'test it' surreptitiously. She travels in a wheelchair (can't walk very far) and Frankfurt is a slow airport (if you're in a cripple cart - as she calls it ) so by the time we got to immigration, there were no queues.

I gave the immigration officer both passports together - mine on top.

He opened that - not a problem. Then he looked at hers. Different colour, non-EU.

He opened it and stamped it with an indefinite visa ('cos she's married to an EU citizen.) He was not allowed (under EU law) to ask her any questions he would not have asked a German National.

We can (and are prepared to) answer questions; we are legitimate travellers - and you - EU citizens - have a security hole in your law and immigration procedures which makes both (IMO) worthless.

I don't like having to take my shoes off - or the hassle I have to go through because I have a medical implant - but I can live with that.

Security - particularly immigration security - at EU ports is (IMO) grossly flawed.

Does that matter (particularly in the UK)?

EU law says that the spouse of an EU citizen shall be afforded entry to any EU country on the same grounds (and withth e same [lack of] limitations) as an EU citizen.

The law is applied, too.

My wife is not an EU citizen (but has been married to one for 30-odd years, so nobody is likey to mutter about 'a marriage of convenience'.

I was aware of the (fairly recent) changes in the law, and I thought I'd 'test it' surreptitiously. She travels in a wheelchair (can't walk very far) and Frankfurt is a slow airport (if you're in a cripple cart - as she calls it ) so by the time we got to immigration, there were no queues.

I gave the immigration officer both passports together - mine on top.

He opened that - not a problem. Then he looked at hers. Different colour, non-EU.

He opened it and stamped it with an indefinite visa ('cos she's married to an EU citizen.) He was not allowed (under EU law) to ask her any questions he would not have asked a German National.

We can (and are prepared to) answer questions; we are legitimate travellers - and you - EU citizens - have a security hole in your law and immigration procedures which makes both (IMO) worthless.

I don't like having to take my shoes off - or the hassle I have to go through because I have a medical implant - but I can live with that.

Security - particularly immigration security - at EU ports is (IMO) grossly flawed.

So why come to England to give birth?

Archived