Pregnant woman refused by ferry

PS: Just a note to posters who seem to be answering why she was refused from the ferry, I think the OP is more interested in what reasons the woman could have for wanting to give birth in the UK, rather than the reasons she was refused

Me too....that is to say I too am more interested why give birth in the uk?

What's wrong with birthing in Barcelona ?

How does this concern you in any way? If she wants to live in Barcelona and give birth in the UK she has every entitlement. Does everyone have to run their own personal lifestyle aspirations past you to get your authorisation?

Depends if she's having it on the NHS or not, non-residents aren't entitled.

Me too....that is to say I too am more interested why give birth in the uk?

What's wrong with birthing in Barcelona ?

Non-residents are perfectly entitled to have babies in the UK and any person who is lawfully present (and the rule would probably be 'adjusted') in the UK is entitled to free medical treatment.

That still doesn't answer the question though.....

What is the attraction to giving birth in the UK...as to Barcelona?

Non-residents are perfectly entitled to have babies in the UK and any person who is lawfully present (and the rule would probably be 'adjusted') in the UK is entitled to free medical treatment.

They're entitled to emergency medical treatment, but I think she's noticed she's pregnant & about to drop.

Is anybody in the world entitled to come here for any planned medical treatment at our expense?

So why come to England to give birth?

Aah!- I think I see what you're asking!

Don't worry - You're not being 'ripped off' (Your government would tell you that if you asked them ...then again, they tell porkies. ;))

ANY citizen of ANY EU member state visiting (or living in) any other EU member state is entitled to be treated in exactly the same manner as the citizens of that member state.

You don't have a problem with that, do you? - A 'fair deal for everybody.'

That's not a problem, is it?

You don't mind people being tfeated fairly and (I'm sure) you wouldn't turn anybody in desperate need away and your government wouldn't be so damned stupid that it would open the doors to everybody, would it?

Well, not unless you voted Labour, who opened the doors and then destroyed the hinges.

The UK NHS was once (quite rightly) the envy of the world.

I'm bloody glad that I have private insurance and can get treatment elsewhere. I doubt I'd be writing this, otherwise.

Rupert, they have hospitals in Spain too & it seems pre-planned rather than an unexpected emergency.

If I went to Spain I'd be entitled to free emergency treatment, otherwise I'd need to pay & then try to get the UK government to refund me.

Also, "Your entitlement to free NHS treatment depends on the length and purpose of your residence in the UK, not your nationality." - http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/healthcare_e/healthcare_help_with_health_costs_e/nhs_charges_for_people_from_abroad.htm

If she wants to choose the best healthcare in the world, she should pay for it, like the rest of us.

If I thught I was going to give birth within the next few days, I might well go to England. (Actually, I"d probably go to give birth where I could make a (hopefully large) fortune from the event).

You seem to be assuming that because she 'lives' in Spain, she is (in some way) not entitled to NHS treatment. Why is that?

Could it be that she lives for a part of the year in Spain, but hates the weather in England as much as I do and - for very similar reasons - gets the hell out when the weather is cold and crappy?

Although there is no law that people resident in the UK MUST spend so many days living in that miserable climate, many people think there should be. If you were to check carefully (and if you had access to the data) you might find that a significant number of British residents are 'snowbirds' (or should that be 'dank, miserable rainbirds'? ;)) I suspect that there may be very many people who think that although England is a wonderful country, the weather sucks and if you can get the hell out when it's cold and dank that might be a smart thing to do. Some people work from home - and home doesn't have to be under a drizzle cloud.

AFAIK - although I rarely spend any time in the UK - I am entitled to NHS treatment when I am there.

I pay taxes (and appropriate NHS contributions) on my world-wide British income. I choose to do so (though I don't really get a choice. - Your government tells me I will.)

I've been told that should I need NHS treatment when I'm in the UK, I would be entitled to receive it. - And Why not? - I pay for it (just as you do.)

How do you know that this woman (who is of child-bearing age, so presumably she's not [quite] a pensioner) doesn't pay full contributions?

You appear to be making some totally unfounded (because you haven't produced any evidence to support them) assumptions.

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 23:55 ----------

Rupert, they have hospitals in Spain too & it seems pre-planned rather than an unexpected emergency.

If I went to Spain I'd be entitled to free emergency treatment, otherwise I'd need to pay & then try to get the UK government to refund me. Provided the Spaniards are. Your would certainly be entitled to be treated in exactly the same manner as they are. - If you came here, you would get a bill. Just as Germans do. - Which the government would refund.

Also, "Your entitlement to free NHS treatment depends on the length and purpose of your residence in the UK, not your nationality." - http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/healthcare_e/healthcare_help_with_health_costs_e/nhs_charges_for_people_from_abroad.htm

If she wants to choose the best healthcare in the world, she should pay for it, like the rest of us.

If she wanted the best healthcare in the world she would indeed have to pay.

Indeed. - to most of that, but you are 'evading' (and if we were talking about taxes, 'evading' is the illegal one) most of the points.

AFAIK, There is nothing in the Law of England and Wales which shall require a a resident of England or Wales to spend a given number of days each year in either of those two countries.

(If you know otherwise, please let me know.)

If you lived in, say, Sheffield, paid English taxes (I don't want to get into Scottish law - but I doubt there would be any tensions between the two) and decided that althoug you loved Sheffield dearly you would prefer to spend most of your time on some South-Sea Island, nobody could stop you.

If you paid your full share of English taxes, then although you weren't physically present in Sheffield for most of the year, when you did go there - given that you are a taxpayer there - what would you do if somebody said 'You can't go to see a doctor because it's not an emergency'?

How far do you think that would fly? If you could prove that you had paid your share and you sued for compensation, who do you think would win?

I was told (by the MP for Brightside) that because I pay full UK taxes, when I am in the UK I have exactly the same entitlement as does any other UK taxpayer and resident. Physical presence is irrelevant.

If 'physical presence' (as opposed to paying taxes) was a consideration, then would somebody who went on a month's hiking in the Himalayas have to pay 8.5% of every medical bill after he returned? - Don't be silly.

Why do I pay UK taxes? - 2 reasons:

1. They're comparatively low (Brits pay a [comparatively] tiny amount for 'welfare' (Healthcare, care in old age, pension and unemployment) taxes and

2. I don't get a choice.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 02:30 ----------

So why come to England to give birth?

My wife is 63. She didn't come to England to give birth.

Lourdes might've been a better bet - if you're into miracles.

Archived