Light fitting problem

http://db.tt/97KKguY1

Please look at this if you know about lights.

There is a red and a copper (earth?) coming from one grey cable and a black and another copper (earth?) from the other grey cable. I thought the cables coming from the two grey cables were the live and neutral with earths. The light does not come on at all with this connection.

When I swap the neutral for the lone black cable seen in pic it comes on......but does not go off.

I am struggling a bit as the wires are all short whereas you usually have loads to play with and move around.

I wanted to try the two blacks together in the neutral but as wires short cant do this - if I did would the light switch on and off! I wanted to do this myself but might have to find a man that can unless anyone can advise.

Thanks

If you don't know what the wires do (the easiest way would have been to note how they were connected to the old fitting), then STOP! Get a professional to help.

You can easily injure yourself, others or cause serious damage and/or destruction of your home if you wire this incorrectly.

Anyone else answering this query just consider how you will feel if you see a report in a few days of "DIYer electrocuted after following forum advice" in the local press.

Archived