Getting rid of mice

We first had a mouse infestation about fifteen years ago, it went on for months and months. At one point we were catching one or two mice every night using mouse traps with chocolate as bait.

At that point we had an old (I can only describe as a derelict patio) at the back of the house and I had a hunch they were nesting under the stones.

One afternoon I decided to dig up said patio and low and behold there was a massive nest there.

They had also dug out some areas of mortar in the back wall to access the house. Having got rid of the nest and filled in the holes, all was good after that.

About two years ago we noticed mouse activity again but we were at sixes and sevens as to where the nest was this time. To be honest we had no idea so we went with the poison option.

At one point the poison was disappearing like there was no tomorrow, got through about two kilos, but after a few weeks it was all good again.

I think you stand a better chance with poison because they take it back and poison the whole nest. Never noticed any strange smells either, only me :hihi:

Please don't use glue traps - horrible horrible things.

When we had a mouse problem years ago at our last house, we used the live capture traps baited with chocolate. We then used to release the mice over the road in a wooded area - is this something you could do?

Please don't use glue traps - horrible horrible things.

When we had a mouse problem years ago at our last house, we used the live capture traps baited with chocolate. We then used to release the mice over the road in a wooded area - is this something you could do?

You could do it - but whether it is legal to release captured vermin in England and Wales is another matter.

Mice will come into your home during periods of cold weather. (In the UK, that's probably any month which has a vowel in the name.)

Steel wool (or crumpled small-diameter wire mesh) will deter them from coming in around pipes which pass through loosely-sealed holes.

Standard type mouse traps work pretty well for me.

You could do it - but whether it is legal to release captured vermin in England and Wales is another matter.

Why would it be illegal? It's only illegal to release invasive species such as the black rat and grey squirrel etc.

Archived