Do MPs deserve a £20,000 pay rise?

I think MPs pay should be linked to the national average wage - that way, their pay would be linked to the prosperity of the country as a whole.

There have been proposals to link it to certain professions but I don't think that would work - it might tempt them to produce policies that benefit those professions.

I think MPs pay should be linked to the national average wage - that way, their pay would be linked to the prosperity of the country as a whole.

There have been proposals to link it to certain professions but I don't think that would work - it might tempt them to produce policies that benefit those professions.

As long as they have the same qualifications as those professions and can prove that in an open market they could get a job in those professions

As long as they have the same qualifications as those professions and can prove that in an open market they could get a job in those professions

As I said, I don't think it should be linked to particular professions, it should be relative to the prosperity of the country as a whole. Doing so would remove arguments about whether MPs deserved a pay rise - if the country was doing well they would deserve a pay rise, if it's not, they wouldn't.

It needs to be linked to median pay, not mean (the usual kind of average). See How to Lie with Statistics for a good explanation of why.

Excellent point.

Archived