Do MPs deserve a £20,000 pay rise?

Who would want to be an MP if the job wasn't adequately rewarded? It might be OK if you have a safe seat, but job security in a marginal isn't great.

I struggle to grasp why anyone would give up a successful job in management and take a pay cut to become an MP only to find that you are on the dole after the first election.

You appear to be (conveniently) forgetting the perks an MP gets.

A Pension at 1/40 of annual salary for every year served. - Serve for 4 years and you've got a pension equivalent to 10% of your annual salary. - Hardly shabby!

A 'resettlement payment' of 1 months salary for every year served (up to 6 years.) Again, a bit better than most other people get.

Contacts. (But who can blame them for that?) If you were an MP previously working for (say) a large accountancy firm and you lost your seat (because the electorate preferred one of the other candidates) Do you really think you would have much difficulty in getting your old job back?

You might find that potential employers were falling over themselves to hire you.

(For that matter, do you think your previous employer would have been too upset when you left them originally to take a seat in Parliament?)

Who would want to be an MP if the job wasn't adequately rewarded? It might be OK if you have a safe seat, but job security in a marginal isn't great.

I struggle to grasp why anyone would give up a successful job in management and take a pay cut to become an MP only to find that you are on the dole after the first election.

Job security is slight for most people

Plenty seem to want to do that after all there is always enough for a vote

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 11:39 ----------

Plenty of people have to live with poor job security on FAR less, why should MP's be any different?

The job of MP is part-time. Many of them 'earn' a second income as consultants, directors etc. A number of them have written books whilst in the job.

They have the best non-contributory pension in the UK & the are still able to obtain a second home using their expense system & profit from it's sale.

For them to receive a pay rise in the region of £10,000 whilst imposing pay restrictions on people less well off than themselves is hypocrisy in action.

I fully expect them to receive this wage rise.

Generally i think that MPs are underpaid and many take a paycut in when they enter parliament. Having said that, now would be an appalling time to correct the imbalance unless you did it at the same time as cutting their number by a third.

Generally i think that MPs are underpaid and many take a paycut in when they enter parliament. Having said that, now would be an appalling time to correct the imbalance unless you did it at the same time as cutting their number by a third.

underpaid??? thats an interesting definition of underpaid you are using there. I am sure that all of us on here would love to be underpaid on that basis!!

underpaid??? thats an interesting definition of underpaid you are using there. I am sure that all of us on here would love to be underpaid on that basis!!

It depends on your point of view. They earn far less than in most other western democracies. Who do you want to be attracted to enter parliament? Cameron doesn't need the money and John Prescott could never have hoped to earn as much in the real world.

Archived