HS2-What do you think?

You can't run a train at 200mph if there is a train 10 miles ahead doing 50.

Got there ahead of me.

The fact is much of the lines have been upgraded significantly but they are filled up with stopping services, commuter trains, freight and god knows what else.

The whole point of HS2 is just that. High Speed limited stop. that's how it works. If it was stuck behind a bumpy metro train it would still take 7 1/2 hours to cross the country.

As for double deckers I agree that this would be a nice thought but with much of our existing network subject to tight tunnels, low bridges and tight corners due to the nature of our landscape it would make it rather difficult to operate such rolling stock.

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 23:12 ----------

The French got an updated rail system because the English and Germans bombed the crap out of the old one.

The UK isn't a big country. I doubt the investment in high speed rail is worth while. Even countries like the USA and Canada manage just dandy with slow trains. A train might take an extra hour to get there, but if you have to wait an extra hour for a high speed train there isn't much benefit that outweighs the extra pollution, and loss of land..

USA is the land of commuter flights. They use planes like most of us use trains.

The UK isn't a big country - you are right. But that makes it even more embarrassing that it takes a full working day just to travel a mere 500 or so miles. That I what I feel is the big benefit. If we dont move with the times we will be even more left behind. Our existing creaking diesel trains simply will not last much longer.

Thanks for all the comments , I'm no Luddite but cannot help feeling that these billions of pounds could be better spent on other areas of this country's transport system . Why not look at building more small , commercially viable airports with regular business flights to London and minimal check-in procedures ? In Israel you can fly from Tel Aviv to Eilat in just over half an hour , and we are talking about a country about the size of Wales . That's faster than any high speed rail link .

I'd like the Council to seriously consider the possibility of being able to extend the former Sheffield Airport's runway in order to accommodate larger 'planes and make the airport more attractive to prospective airlines , but sadly understand that it's more likely that , in between playing Sudoku and reading the Radio Times , they are more likely to be interested in a runway where the flying pigs can take off .

From what I heard on the telly the other day, it's going to cost every tax payer in this country £1000 for this project (or the equivalent).

If there is such a need for this and it will make so much money, why are the private sector not jumping over each other to build it ?

I await the answer from the captains of industry that inhabit this forum with baited breath :)

Thanks for all the comments , I'm no Luddite but cannot help feeling that these billions of pounds could be better spent on other areas of this country's transport system . Why not look at building more small , commercially viable airports with regular business flights to London and minimal check-in procedures ? In Israel you can fly from Tel Aviv to Eilat in just over half an hour , and we are talking about a country about the size of Wales . That's faster than any high speed rail link .

I'd like the Council to seriously consider the possibility of being able to extend the former Sheffield Airport's runway in order to accommodate larger 'planes and make the airport more attractive to prospective airlines , but sadly understand that it's more likely that , in between playing Sudoku and reading the Radio Times , they are more likely to be interested in a runway where the flying pigs can take off .

HS2 will carry more people to more places with more connections.

One benefit of HS2 will be to reduce the attractiveness of flying.

Commercial flights to London has already failed from Sheffield.

How many flights would be needed to carry the same number of people?

Where in London will all these planes fly to? London City is too small/short for this plan.

How many other flights from other cities will there be?

The council does not own the airfield. It would be unlikely to get planning consent to extend or use the runway early/late in the day.

The French got an updated rail system because the English and Germans bombed the crap out of the old one.

The UK isn't a big country. I doubt the investment in high speed rail is worth while. Even countries like the USA and Canada manage just dandy with slow trains. A train might take an extra hour to get there, but if you have to wait an extra hour for a high speed train there isn't much benefit that outweighs the extra pollution, and loss of land.

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 07:02 ----------

You can't run a train at 200mph if there is a train 10 miles ahead doing 50.

:confused: the increase in speed is only advertised to get you to london 30min faster-no one cares about that. The problem is cruddy dirty carriages and packed trains at peak times.

---------- Post added 23-05-2013 at 08:46 ----------

HS2 will carry more people to more places with more connections.

One benefit of HS2 will be to reduce the attractiveness of flying.

Commercial flights to London has already failed from Sheffield.

How many flights would be needed to carry the same number of people?

Where in London will all these planes fly to? London City is too small/short for this plan.

How many other flights from other cities will there be?

The council does not own the airfield. It would be unlikely to get planning consent to extend or use the runway early/late in the day.

nope there are far less places it will stop at-thats the point....unless you mean it will require more connections to get from one place to another. thats not an advantage though

nope there are far less places it will stop at-thats the point....unless you mean it will require more connections to get from one place to another. thats not an advantage though

The aircraft that leave Sheffield for London will I assume be non-stop to London. So only useful to London travellers.

The HS2 will stop at East Midlands (connections to...) West Midlands (connections to...) Gospel Oak (connections to...).

You have quoted from a reply to about an enhanced service from Sheffield Airport- not about comparing HS2 with MML.

and that is why the country stagantes.

Its far from a vanity project. Its dragging our knackered victorian railways into the modern world. Our railways are the laughing stock of Europe compared to other countries. We must be one of the few places where so called high speed trains still chug along with 25 year old diesel engines.

Our most advanced long distance train at the moment is the virgin pendelino with is "massive" speed of 140mph is nothing compared to across the channel. Add that to the fact that our woeful track limits it to 125 in any case just adds to the embarrassment.

High speed 1 has been the only substantial rail project in near 50 years. That was only built partly due to the olympics bid to give quick access to stratford and still only covers a piddling distance of 66 miles.

Its about time all these gob****es and NIMBYs shut the heck up. This is something we need desprately and has been long long overdue.

In answer to your question. YES I absolutely would pay extra to save half an hour. Getting Sheffield to London down to around the 90 minute level would make huge differences to the area. Being able to cover the entire stretch of the Country in just over half a day would connect everyone so much closer and make the world of business flow much better.

The fact is you can travel the length of France by train in just under 5 1/2 hours a distance of some 578 miles and yet a mere 537 miles between Aberdeen to London over here takes as long as 7 1/2 hours on a train.

To me this shows clearly that we must drag ourselves into the 21st Century.

Actually the HST's had new MTU engines fitted around 2005

:confused: the increase in speed is only advertised to get you to london 30min faster-no one cares about that. The problem is cruddy dirty carriages and packed trains at peak times.

That's one of the points of it surely :confused: so I'd guess people do care about it.

HS2 = High Speed 2.

Archived