Proposed NEXT store Public Inquiry

what difference should it make if it is or isn't an ext to meadowhall?

the area is literally an industrial wasteland that once provided work for thousands of people.

If there was a queue of business lined up to build on those areas then yeah the council should be a bit choosy and carefull about what goes where.

There isn't. there is square mile after square mile of industrial wasteland with no takers it's better to be used by next than to be used by no-one and you'd expect the council to be encouraging employment in the area after all it is a waste of land otherwise

Central government don't want to see expansion of out of town shopping malls which I'm sure has been pointed out on other threads if not this one and I think that the guy argueing for this development is on dodgy ground when he tries to ssay that it is not an extension but a new seperate development

---------- Post added 24-05-2013 at 17:52 ----------

your post implies, that as the cost of car ownership is going to rise the use of cars will fall due but at the same time implies there will be more cars??

these 'long term' buildings are just sheds they go up within a few months and down within a few weeks, they're not of any substance so thats not really an issue.

I was i hope careful to point out that in the short term traffic is going to get worse sighting the example of the problems now seen since the building of Meadowhall. However what then happens thirty or forty years down the line when the main central points for people whether that be a city centre of a village centre have no shops to speak of

I cant really envision that future tbh but for arguments sake I'd imagine we'd build shops where we want them and demolish those we don't as is the nature of humans.

The local shops have declined for a reason, we simply don't care enough for them, we may lament their disappearance a little but clearly not enough to actually encourage that portion of society to re-engage like it used to.

Take this discourse for example In the past we would have discussed this in the pub or in the church hall, the street, the post office etc

we are doing it from inside our houses and probably live 20 miles away from each other.

society is bigger than it used to be but its a lot thinner as well.

Edited by syne

what difference should it make if it is or isn't an ext to meadowhall?

the area is literally an industrial wasteland that once provided work for thousands of people.

If there was a queue of business lined up to build on those areas then yeah the council should be a bit choosy and carefull about what goes where.

There isn't. there is square mile after square mile of industrial wasteland with no takers it's better to be used by next than to be used by no-one and you'd expect the council to be encouraging employment in the area after all it is a waste of land otherwise

Dont forget that they are also generating more waste land down the road in september

Dont forget that they are also generating more waste land down the road in september

Which of course would be perfect for Retail development ,but the council will back heel any planning application from retail business`s.

Since when should the councils priority be about increasing revenue?
Since they had to struggle to cope with the cuts imposed by central government. If your job was cut from 40 hours to 30 and you wanted to maintain your standard of living (or in the council's case, services), you'd look to make up that lost income as much as possible somehow, wouldn't you?

I'd like a massive Next please; one that has lots of garden and home furnishings please. I'd like to park my car as close to the shop as possible.

I've never been convinced that a Next in town would be big enough to actually justify a 'Home and Garden' tag. If they made the shop big enough to justify it's Home & Garden tag, then the car park wouldn't be big enough at busy periods.

Good luck parking in whatever car park it has on a match day if it's built at that end of town.

My own personal opinion is SCC is desperate to get a big name store in town rather than over at MH due to the massive delays in Sevenstones; maybe this is even a sweetener for prospective shops in Sevenstones - 'look, we have a big Next'.

I'd like a massive Next please; one that has lots of garden and home furnishings please. I'd like to park my car as close to the shop as possible.

I've never been convinced that a Next in town would be big enough to actually justify a 'Home and Garden' tag. If they made the shop big enough to justify it's Home & Garden tag, then the car park wouldn't be big enough at busy periods.

Good luck parking in whatever car park it has on a match day if it's built at that end of town.

My own personal opinion is SCC is desperate to get a big name store in town rather than over at MH due to the massive delays in Sevenstones; maybe this is even a sweetener for prospective shops in Sevenstones - 'look, we have a big Next'.

Yes but Next don't want anything to do with the city centre, so SCC's "cunning plan" is doomed to fail.

The Staples/Mothercare site is around 3 acres.

The Staples/Mothercare/Deacon House/Shapla site is around 3.8 acres.

The Staples/Mothercare/Deacon House/Shapla/Moorfoot Tavern/RBS site is around 4.8 acres.

The Wickes/National Tyres and Exhausts site is around 2.5 acres.

None of these might be suitable for Next Home and Garden, but whoever does redevelop these sites in future will surely develop them on at least 2 levels with parking underneath.

This works well on many supermarkets such as the massive Tesco in Chesterfield, right next to Chesterfield's football ground and main dual carriageway. That site is around 4 acres with an additional 1.5 acres of outdoor parking.

The Queens Road B&Q is 3.7 acres including garden centre. Parking is not underneath.

The Chesterfield Road Homebase is 1.3 acres including garden centre. Parking is not underneath. The whole site including parking is 2.2 acres.

The Darnall B&Q is 4.2 acres including garden centre. Parking is not underneath. B&Q stated that this store is too big and that it should be split into 2 with another tenant.

The newest B&Q in the area at Chesterfield did split the store with Toys R Us. That store is 2.2 acres including a garden centre. Parking is not underneath. In total the B&Q site is around 4.5 acres.

Next Home and Garden in Shoreham (a converted Homebase) is 1.2 acres including garden centre. Parking is not underneath. The total site including parking is 2.3 acres.

Next Home and Garden in Ipswich is 1.1 acres including garden centre. Parking is not underneath. The total site including parking is 2.5 acres.

Next Home and Garden in Camberley (a converted Homebase) is 1.5 acres including garden centre. Parking is not underneath. The total site including parking is 3 acres.

---------- Post added 25-05-2013 at 00:47 ----------

Why would they do that? Of what direct benefit is it to them if there are more shoppers in town? Their prime concern is their budget and making ends meet. Surely they should only adjust the pricing if it increases their revenue. And lower cost parking in the centre during the middle of the day is still more expensive than Meadowhall.

The more shoppers that SCC can attract into the city centre, the more and larger retailers they will also attract. That will in turn lead to higher business rates takings.

They need to create a virtuous circle rather than downward spiral. It is rather chicken and egg, particularly as Sevenstone has stalled for so long, but parking fees really do put people off shopping in city centres in general.

People don't mind paying to park so much if they know exactly what they want to purchase, but many do mind paying to park if they're on a speculative shopping trip.

The more shoppers that SCC can attract into the city centre, the more and larger retailers they will also attract. That will in turn lead to higher business rates takings.

They need to create a virtuous circle rather than downward spiral. It is rather chicken and egg, particularly as Sevenstone has stalled for so long, but parking fees really do put people off shopping in city centres in general.

People don't mind paying to park so much if they know exactly what they want to purchase, but many do mind paying to park if they're on a speculative shopping trip.

The problem being Large retailers do not want to move into the city center when they can locate to out of town shopping centers which have vastly more footfall , vastly larger floor space and vastly higher earning potential due to the attraction of being able to park your car for free ,spend all day shopping without worrying about having a ticket slapped on your windscreen .

Edited by Penistone999