Proposed NEXT store Public Inquiry

The problem being Large retailers do not want to move into the city center when they can locate to out of town shopping centers which have vastly more footfall , vastly larger floor space and vastly higher earning potential due to the attraction of being able to park your car for free ,spend all day shopping without worrying about having a ticket slapped on your windscreen .

Edited by kidneystone
Mistake

Should new developments be anti pedestrian or sited so that you can only get to them easily by car? I don't know what the bus system is like going past that site I know meadowhall is well served . There was a series on TV recently about planners and a new housing development got the knock back until there was better pedestrian access to the nearby village shops. On a personal note as I've stated on the forum I dislike large single storey buildings with large windswept exposed car parks they're un-attractive to look at and are user unfriendly especially when you consider our rather dodgy weather

**Should new developments be anti pedestrian or sited so that you can only get to them easily by car?**

Surely this is a strawman? Don't people who have cars walk?

What planners need to remember is that those of us who have cars, generally work, and have more money to spend than those who rely on public transport.... We tend to do ''all'' our shopping in one go, and fill our cars.

We haven't got the time to spend, looking for a parking space for each shop, and paying £2-3 for the privilege.. and then traipsing 500 yards or more, up and down to each shop, with bags full of shopping.

You said there was a problem with standing traffic around Meadowhall? Could this be due to all the traffic lights; which never used to be so many... I always find it amazing that when the traffic lights are 'out' anywhere, the streets are practically deserted...because people just use their common sense and 'drive' as they were taught.

Quite honestly, I don't care what a building looks like, or how windswept the car park is, as long as it is functional and easily accessible for me; because I am disabled; and sells what I want to purchase?

Edited by catpus
adjustment

What planners need to remember is that those of us who have cars, generally work, and have more money to spend than those who rely on public transport....

So people who use public transport don't work? Not everyone who works chooses to drive.

What planners need to remember is that those of us who have cars, generally work, and have more money to spend than those who rely on public transport....

:loopy:

Post of the year.

Yes but Next don't want anything to do with the city centre, so SCC's "cunning plan" is doomed to fail.

Next are very much interested in a large fashion store in the city centre.

They have been talking to SWIP about a unit at the top of the Moor but would prefer to be in the new retail quarter.

**Should new developments be anti pedestrian or sited so that you can only get to them easily by car?**

Surely this is a strawman? Don't people who have cars walk?

What planners need to remember is that those of us who have cars, generally work, and have more money to spend than those who rely on public transport.... We tend to do ''all'' our shopping in one go, and fill our cars.

We haven't got the time to spend, looking for a parking space for each shop, and paying £2-3 for the privilege.. and then traipsing 500 yards or more, up and down to each shop, with bags full of shopping.

You said there was a problem with standing traffic around Meadowhall? Could this be due to all the traffic lights; which never used to be so many... I always find it amazing that when the traffic lights are 'out' anywhere, the streets are practically deserted...because people just use their common sense and 'drive' as they were taught.

Quite honestly, I don't care what a building looks like, or how windswept the car park is, as long as it is functional and easily accessible for me; because I am disabled; and sells what I want to purchase?

The sad thing is that people have become so reliant on their cars that they don't seem to want to walk very far at all and I know of people who drive ridiculously short distances at times. The question of standing traffic and what causes it can be for a variety of rreasons but I'd still say a major issue is the increase in road traffic whether that be cars, buses or lorries but when you start noticing the number of cars with a single occupant you do start to think that there is a problem.

I still think there should be a radical change in the building design to make as much good use of available land as possible and I remember the Sainsbury on Archer road they had parking underneath the store and surface parking, I always went under the store as it was dry and less exposed to the elements

So people who use public transport don't work? Not everyone who works chooses to drive.

Yes but not everyone taking the bus can cart back home loads of shopping.

Next make a lot of money on the people who come, spend £500+, then pile the goods into their car and drive home. Can't do that on a bus.

---------- Post added 25-05-2013 at 14:07 ----------

:loopy:

Post of the year.

Probably actually the most intelligent post on this thread. Bit beyond you maybe.

---------- Post added 25-05-2013 at 14:08 ----------

Next are very much interested in a large fashion store in the city centre.

They have been talking to SWIP about a unit at the top of the Moor but would prefer to be in the new retail quarter.

Next want to upgrade the city centre store. But want their out of town store as well. If they don't get the out of town store, they won't upgrade city centre.

Next want to upgrade the city centre store. But want their out of town store as well. If they don't get the out of town store, they won't upgrade city centre.

Perhaps the council would prefer them to close? After all we could do with the space to open another poundland or charity shop. After all you cant have TOO many of THOSE can you? :)

Next want to upgrade the city centre store , but want their out of town store as well. If they don't get the out of town store, they won't upgrade city centre.

Nonsense. They're a business looking to make money, not a petulant 7 year old who'll take their football home because they're losing the game. Their Fargate store is tiny and can't carry much stock, so they desparately need a larger unit in the city centre.

I hope they get their Home and Garden store at Meadowhall.