Proposed NEXT store Public Inquiry

well not a lot happening on a sunday so thats a non starter, im on about during the week to stimulate the town centre if scc whan to, if middlesborough can do it despite all the negative comments on here, why cant scc if they that serious??!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

SCC have just dropped some of their car park charges to less than a third of the old charges and still you moan. You can park all day in the centre of a major city for 2 quid. Where can you do that in a comparable size city?

Middlesborough is a small place, about a quarter the population of Sheffield. Not exactly a like for like comparison.

There is clearly a difference between shopping centres (such as Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks and retail parks) and city centres; the former are used purely for shopping whereas the latter are mixed use.

It's obvious that if you make council car parks free in city centres that workers will use them first, leaving the private car parks for shoppers.

However, if the council were minded to reduce parking fees on their surface car parks to encourage greater shopping footfall in the city centre then there are a few things that they could do;

* Make parking free (or very cheap) for a short period. 30 minutes or 1 hour free would allow people to 'nip in to town'.

* Make parking cheaper after 4pm. This would not be useful for the majority of city centre workers, but would be attractive to shoppers, restaurant users, theatregoers, etc.

* Make parking cheaper after 10am. The vast majority of city centre workers park their cars before 10am, so having a 2 tier parking fee structure based on starting time would favour shoppers from mid-morning onwards.

I'm sure that the council will be monitoring car park usage now that they have introduced later and Sunday parking fees. They will be able to see if the increased fees makes them more money, or if it is merely offset by a reduced number of people parking.

If there isn't a substantial increase in takings after a few months then I'd like to think that they would trial some of the three ideas I've outlined above.

If there isn't a substantial increase in takings after a few months then I'd like to think that they would trial some of the three ideas I've outlined above.
Why would they do that? Of what direct benefit is it to them if there are more shoppers in town? Their prime concern is their budget and making ends meet. Surely they should only adjust the pricing if it increases their revenue. And lower cost parking in the centre during the middle of the day is still more expensive than Meadowhall.

I came into the city centre on Sunday but but got put off from parking as I thought I didn't want to pay a pound for 15 minutes. I agree with Rob Wison's comment above that parking within the city centre should have something like 30 minutes free period. However, I'm sure this will give the council and opportunity to generate some parking fines when shoppers are slightly delayed getting back to their cars in time.

Anyway, getting back to Next, I think it would be great to have Next Home store and IKEA in Sheffield.

I think the key here is; they simply do not want to pay for parking :)

That's probably correct if people are honest,if i need to be in the city centre(Lyceum,City Hall,or eating out) i'm happy to pay the parking.

If its to visit a shop - which i can visit elsewhere for free parking then thats where i go.

Nobody can genuinely believe driving into the city from Heeley direction(thats where i'd approach from over here) to get to a Next store in place of Staples is easy.

That's probably correct if people are honest,if i need to be in the city centre(Lyceum,City Hall,or eating out) i'm happy to pay the parking.

If its to visit a shop - which i can visit elsewhere for free parking then thats where i go.

Nobody can genuinely believe driving into the city from Heeley direction(thats where i'd approach from over here) to get to a Next store in place of Staples is easy.

The roundabouts down there on the duel carriageway are horrendous at the best of times, so can you imagine what it would be like with the extra traffic generated by a NEXT home and garden store. Plus, the site there is way too small for a big store like that.

I came into the city centre on Sunday but but got put off from parking as I thought I didn't want to pay a pound for 15 minutes. I agree with Rob Wison's comment above that parking within the city centre should have something like 30 minutes free period. However, I'm sure this will give the council and opportunity to generate some parking fines when shoppers are slightly delayed getting back to their cars in time.

Anyway, getting back to Next, I think it would be great to have Next Home store and IKEA in Sheffield.

Where were you trying to park? Council parking charges are £1 all day on a Sunday