Niche Nights

NicheRULES

For anyone getting too bothered the use of the phrase "Niche" to describe tunes rather than the actual club - there's a long history of this - the term "House" music came from the tunes that were played at the Warehouse club in Chicago in the early/mid 80s - which soon got shortened to "house"..

...although whether the speed garage/bassline house that was played at Niche is quite so innovative as the Warehouse's tunes is another question...

And 'Garage' comes from 'The Paradise Garage' in NYC, where Larry Levan played. It's actually a misnomer though, because the vocal-led, proto-house that developed into US Garage was popularized across the water in Newark, New Jersey at Tony Humphries' club, Zanzibar. The Paradise Garage was much more eclectic.

Ooh I love my disco, me.

I used to go to niche and always thought the music was speed garage and funky house. I thought it was speed garage played at niche by the dj's at niche but not niche music still speed garage. Although I have heard loads of people refering to music with a heavy base Niche music. And surely Limit plays speed garage as it isn't niche it can't play niche music can it?

Yeah these guys know their s**t. A list of my favourite Niche DJs:

1. Shaun Banger Scott

2. Nev Wright 4 Example

3. Camelot Montage Escobar Soundsystem

I bet these guys don't mind if they get asked to play "Niche toons".

Do you think Nev Wright 4 Example funded his record collection from those fake cheques you get through as junk mail made out to "Example"?

The 3rd DJ isn't bassline btw. He's more metronome. Remixes a lot of John Cage.

W>O>R>D>>>

Your going 2 have 2 explain this 1 2 me, are you trying 2 be clever, witty or sarcastic here?

ps... You can lose the '4 example' bit, I believe he just goes by the name Nev Wright lately...

:rolleyes:

Archived