Niche Nights

NicheRULES

For anyone getting too bothered the use of the phrase "Niche" to describe tunes rather than the actual club - there's a long history of this - the term "House" music came from the tunes that were played at the Warehouse club in Chicago in the early/mid 80s - which soon got shortened to "house"..

...although whether the speed garage/bassline house that was played at Niche is quite so innovative as the Warehouse's tunes is another question...

but of course house came from DISCO - this is where the whole dance culture came from, i think?

but of course house came from DISCO - this is where the whole dance culture came from, i think?

Yep.. it did!

Disco is the foundation that House (Warehouse Chicago) and US Garage (Newark, New Jersey) was built on.

Speed Garage = Niche

Niche = Speed Garage

What u all moaning about it for, call it what you want dont you :loopy:

Despite my earlier flippancy, I think there's some truth in this way of thinking. If the chicagoans' desire to disco on a budget would result in that music being named after the place where most people were exposed to it (House y'all), and similarly drum-machine backed soulful vocal music taking in disco, funk and synthesizer sounds would grow to be named after its spiritual home in NYC (or Newark...bit of a misnomer as a genre name), then it only follows that many people will refer to speed garage, in Sheffo at least, as Niche. Was Northern Soul *really* named after the fact that much of it came from Detroit, or was it that it actually gained most popularity in the North of England? And all of us associate our favourite clubs with a particular sound. If referring to a type of music by a place tells us more than a simple genre name, then I think people should use it.

Now lets all be friends.

Cowbell is pretty underground Craig777. I think there's a few crumbling acetates in Rare and Racy.

Niche is a dive and always has been! I have been there twice and both experiences were horrible tbh.

If you are looking for a decent night which is in the hardtrance/hardhouse genre get your self down to stormissential.....4th march.

So you went twice, The first time you realised it was a 'dive' but you decided to go again for a second time????

Hmmmmm That bad Huh???

Archived