Should the UK have armed cops/troops on our streets full-time?

Given the awful terrorist atrocity recently in London, and the fact that our security forces are fighting a 24/7 Global war on terror as we speak, should we have a visible presence of Police and Soldiers on our streets full time?

Atrocities like the Woolwich killing, and the nationwide riots of 2011 (in which we were reminded that it was morons of all colours and backgrounds that were implicated), might well have been lessened?

Westminster in London does have those red Volvos full of mobile armed cops driving around, ought they be nationwide?

And before the racists of any colour latch onto the topic of religion or race- as they are trying online (Marine le Pen, etc)- the last Victoria Cross winner was black (Beharry Johnson) and I think the IRA/INLA/Fenians who have attacked Britain since the 1840's, are not black?

No, but I wouldn't object to tazers. But bobbies strolling about with sub machine guns? No. It's not what we do here, and we start to they've won.

And let's face it, in this instance the poor guy was probably dead before the first police turned up.

The reason things like this are so shocking to us is because they are rare and in practically every case I can think of a universally armed police force wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference, certainly not yesterday.

Do we really want armed troops on our streets 24/7?

They would have to be retrained with regards to their rules of engagemnet( ie opening fire).

It is not safe having a soldier who is trained to shoot a target till it is disabled permanently on the streets.

A battlefield is a totally different entity to streets populated by unarmed civilians going about their business.

I say no.

I speak as an ex serviceman.

In the light of yesterday's events, I think there is certainly an arguement for allowing troops to carry side arms at all times.

That's a lousy idea. Drunk squaddies armed with Glock 17's? You must be joking.

Archived