Should the UK have armed cops/troops on our streets full-time?

As the country slides even deeper into poverty, although just kept afloat through the practices of the financial sector, and the defence industry busily selling weapons to mainly Middle East dictatorships with plenty of oil dollars to spare, it just might be necessary to one day control our own population.

Militarising the police, getting the public to accept guns in the hands of an authority on the streets, seen as normal practice, allows individuals to possibly reconsider bothering to demonstrate, question government policy in public, which just might be the point.

As for fighting a 24/7 war against terrorism, in which we invade, and kill civilians in foreign lands, which creates resentfulness, making the natives want to fight the invaders, which we them justify calling them terrorists. Strange when the IRA were bombing the nation, blowing up civilians, it was never in that war, very close to home, in which far more damage was done, including failing to kill Thatcher in Brighton, did not require a weaponised police force to parade itself on the streets.

Obviously different values for different times.

This is one of the most sensible posts I've seen on here.

No there shouldn't be - it would just ramp things up to the point in America where the gun lobby are arguing that teachers should routinely carry guns.

you ever lived in country where police carry guns ?:huh:

I've lived in australia on and off for years and all the cops are armed ,if anything it makes perps think twice before pulling out a gun.

Look how those two muslim extremists were strolling about while people stood around unable to stop them if they'd have been in the usa

they would have been dead long before the police arrived (20 minutes),

The fantasy world you live in is gone. Successive governments have seen to that. The England I grew up in didn't need guns. Now you do. Deal with it and get over your moral vanity

you ever lived in country where police carry guns ?:huh:

I've lived in australia on and off for years and all the cops are armed ,if anything it makes perps think twice before pulling out a gun.

The cops in the USA have guns - doesn't exactly seem to lead to a shortage of armed criminals.

Look how those two muslim extremists were strolling about while people stood around unable to stop them if they'd have been in the usa

they would have been dead long before the police arrived (20 minutes)

they wanted to be shot, you cant stop that happening in that case

Archived