Should the UK have armed cops/troops on our streets full-time?

Not yet anyway.... perhaps..... but it would be interesting to see British crime statistics compared to those of France and Germany where their governments do consider it sensible for the police to be armed.

USA is a far better comparison Harleyman - the culture is much more similar - or at least we have a very high number of US cop shows on TV.

And we're nowhere near the number of armed incidents per head of population in the USA.

Did I mention this situation, Armed Police in general, in time to come is what I'm on about.:huh:

Can you give us an example which demonstrates "The way this country is going" which will mean we have "no choice" but to have armed police patrolling the streets by default?

and my post states why?

if its islamic extremists that are upping there game?

other crime doesnt seem to be rising a lot?

Agree Mel;

This was the first "terrorist" (using governments language) on British soil since the 7/7 bombings in 2005 - when a damn site more people were killed.

One incident in nigh on eight years and yet some people appear to think all hell's broken loose.

Can you give us an example which demonstrates "The way this country is going" which will mean we have "no choice" but to have armed police patrolling the streets by default?

There are loads of gun related crimes. drugs,banks, nutters shooting police women, that's just a few.

There are loads of gun related crimes. drugs,banks, nutters shooting police women, that's just a few.

And how many of them would be prevented by the Police carrying firearms by default?

The only one of your examples there where the Police would be directly involved was the Manchester shootings last year, where the two women were shot before they would have had any chance to react.

Arming the Police will just lead to more criminals carrying guns and more deaths of innocent people.

And how many of them would be prevented by the Police carrying firearms by default?

The only one of your examples there where the Police would be directly involved was the Manchester shootings last year, where the two women were shot before they would have had any chance to react.

Arming the Police will just lead to more criminals carrying guns and more deaths of innocent people.

I hope you and Halibut are right.

I hope you and Halibut are right.

Right about what? That the arming the policewomen in Manchester wouldn't have saved them? Or that arming the police by default will result in more deaths of innocent people?

I assume you don't want to answer my question about how arming the Police will result in stopping more of those crimes you listed?

Archived