The cost of interpreters

Haha. My great love is ancient British history, i'd gain nothing from travelling elsewhere i'm afraid.

Is that ancient British History when we went round councouring other countries, taking them over to the point when we owned half the globe?

Wonder why they bothered with all that Empire stuff eh? They might as well have stayed here.

And so do about half a million Brits who live in Spain. A large number have few language skills and interpreters are constantly necessary in hospital.

We are the seventh richest country in the world - and we cannot afford a few interpreters?

you will find as well, in spain the same as any other country in the eu they have to pay for them. you will not get owt for nowt there.

Is that ancient British History when we went round councouring other countries, taking them over to the point when we owned half the globe?

Wonder why they bothered with all that Empire stuff eh? They might as well have stayed here.

Have a quick butchers at my website, link in my sig, instead of assuming wrongly. :)

Fluent in a language with the ability to understand people generally is very different to being able to understand a medical diagnosis.

Well that's something i wouldn't have a clue about, nor give any thought time to, as i'd never leave these shores, i've no reason to.

But........fair enough then, but only paid for in extreme cases, not something that's offered routinely which is the lazy approach imo. If you settle here you should be expected to learn the language, something i'd make a priority if i settled in a country that didn't speak my native tongue. Plus it's common courtesy isn't it ?

Fluent in a language with the ability to understand people generally is very different to being able to understand a medical diagnosis.

The NHS hand out interpreters way to easily. I remember once last year in a hydrotherapy appointment where a new gentleman was having his first session where his interpreter was only booked for the assessment pre getting into the pool. Never mind appearing to not understanding the basics i.e. knee, foot even with here pointing to them. Even with the hydro therapist showing him the exercises to do he still didn't have a clue and requested an interpreter for all following appointments. Quite funny how he knew how to ask for an interpreter but couldn't understand foot or knee even with visuals.

A young lad got arrested for a minor offence. He was giving the officers a load of hassle in very good english, but when the cuffs went on he suddenly had a memory lapse and couldn't understand a bloody word. The officers told him he would get a interpretor at the cells and funnily enough he understood that.

This country is a joke because of all the do gooders

I used to work there, its around £80 per hour now.

If the appointment runs over which they most often do, then it goes on into the next hour if its a face to face interpreter.

Face to face interpreters are only used for children now and people having tests.

Consultant and clinic appointments are done on language line, and are done in clinic, so usually are charged just for that period if time to the nearest hour.

Most families have some family member who can speak English but alot were reluctant to come.

Same with Medicars its used by some as a free taxi service, "if you dont send one I'm not coming attutude".

At the Hallamshire Hospital I was stood behind a oriental women who wanted to change her appointment. She did not seem very pleased that she could not get the time and date she wanted. The receptionist tried to reason with her and explained that there was not a clinic on the date she wanted. The women understood perfectly well what the receptionist was saying. On her way out she asked the receptionist if she could arrange for a Cantonese interpreter. I was not convinced that she needed one. I was told that these interpreters cost the national health millions of pounds a year and that the Hallamshire Hospital would have to pay about £500 for a interpreter for this woman. Does anyone know the cost of these interpreters and should the money be paid for by the NHS? I have also been told by a friend who works as a receptionist at a doctor's practice that interpreters are paid for out of their budget and very often the patient does not turn up but the interpreters have to be paid for.

If you were convinced she didn't need one, then the hospital probably were too.

It would seem daft for a woman who speaks good enough English to arrange an appointment to demand an interpreter..it would waste her own time waiting for one to arrive or having to come back on another date dont you think?

Archived