Johnny Fantham Wednesday legend goalscoring record

kensimmo

I found a way around that, Jim. The scheme was to mail in a 10 bob note along with a stamp eddressed envelope. You got back either a ticket to the game or your ten bob. I figured the odds were around 10 to 1 against getting the ticket, so I got 9 other mates of mine, none of whom were interested in football, to mail in ten bob notes (which I supplied). I finished up with 3 tickets, so I sold 2 of them to pals of mine who wanted to go at face value.

I got mine by going straight down to the ground the morning after the arrangements were announced in the Star. I bought a ten bob postal order at the nearest post office, stuck it in an envelope and posted it through the Wednesday letter box. I made another four or five postal applications as insurance through various family members but without success.

• 1 year later...
A recently released book (The Wednesday Boys) claims that the great inside forward scored 166 goals in total.

Other records (The Wednesday Archives) suggests 167.

I have always belived the latter to be correct. Does anyone know who is right?

Sad to say the legend has passed on early July. RIP Johnny, one of the greats whose like Wednesday shall never see again

I can assure you that the figure is 167. There is one goal that was incorrectly credited to someone else, and it is shown in the original Sheffield Wednesday: A Complete Record 1867-1987. All others are imitations!

Are you confusing John with Jim Mcanearney? He had a machine shop in Hillfoot

hiya, john fantham was in the machine reclamation game he was a regular at laycocks when they were renewing their machines, i think he sold them to india,or china,

hiya, john fantham was in the machine reclamation game he was a regular at laycocks when they were renewing their machines, i think he sold them to india,or china,

He bought machines from Jacobs as well. I suggested that we should frame the cheque instead of paying it into the bank.

Don't know about goalscoring, but he had at least two barber shops. One on Division Street and one down the alley next to Suggs at the top of The Moor. He also had a business dealing in machine tools.

The alley referred to was Cambridge Arcade. As kids we always used to look through the window of Johnny Fathams Hairdressers shop hoping to see our hero in there.

A recently released book (The Wednesday Boys) claims that the great inside forward scored 166 goals in total.

Other records (The Wednesday Archives) suggests 167.

I have always belived the latter to be correct. Does anyone know who is right?

I was in the same class as him at Burngreave secondary School

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure I remember him as running a hardware store at the bottom of Ringstead Crescent in Crosspool. Must have been the mid 1970s I guess?