Thanks for the warning.

...and every time i do it the motorists i flash always wave or flash back to say thanks.

No they don't... they flash / wave you back because they think you know them.

Try it for yourself next time you drive home. Just randomly flash / wave at other drivers and most will reciprocate :hihi:

No they don't... they flash / wave you back because they think you know them.

Try it for yourself next time you drive home. Just randomly flash / wave at other drivers and most will reciprocate :hihi:

Drivers know that when someone is flashing every vehicle that is coming the opposite way that there is a scamera van or a copper with a speed trap lurking down the road.

Drivers know that when someone is flashing every vehicle that is coming the opposite way that there is a scamera van or a copper with a speed trap lurking down the road.

Well I certainly wasn't aware of that the first time I travelled through a speed-camera killzone*

I thought all the other drivers were just being friendly (I am something of a local celebrity :blush: )

*I was travelling at the speed limit

The police are more interested in safer roads, than they are in monetizing motorists; that's why they are happy for motorists to warn each other of speed-traps, because it causes them to slow down. Which as we all know, is the only reason they're out there with their speed cameras and such like...

...isn't it?

The police are more interested in safer roads, than they are in monetizing motorists; that's why they are happy for motorists to warn each other of speed-traps, because it causes them to slow down. Which as we all know, is the only reason they're out there with their speed cameras and such like...

...isn't it?

Don't speed if you think this. Simple, really :)

Can you answer me this AO, why would the police punish anyone for encouraging other motorists to slow down?..

Read the previous posts, there you will find the answer. And again, if you feel it's a money making exercise, simply slow down and avoid paying them. Not rocket science, is it?

Read the previous posts, and they didn't really answer my question, or address the point I was making.

Point being that, while the police claim that speed cameras are all about safety and not generating revenue; their actions in this instance, seem to suggest otherwise! Seems to me, they're more concerned with generating revenue, than getting people to slow down.

Which is all well and good, I don't have a problem with people being corrupt, deceitful, liars. I'm just pointing out how their actions don't match their words (at least, in this one incident).

Also, yes, you are correct, slow down, be safe, don't hurt yourself or others, and don't get caught. I completely agree; but that's a distinct issue to the point I was making.

I have always flashed and warned other motorists about speed scamera vans lurking up the road. Many motorists do this ,its an unwritten code between drivers looking out for each other . I will never stop doing this ,and every time i do it the motorists i flash always wave or flash back to say thanks. If by flashing other motorists means they slow down and dont get fleeced by the scamera vans ,then that means ive helped someone keep money in their pocket . I know over the years other drivers flashing me have saved me hundreds of pounds and probably saved me from a couple of driving bans . There is nowt wrong with motorists sticking together and helping other drivers to avoid being fleeced by the scamera vans.

Alternatively, you could try keeping to the speed limit.

"Scamera". So witty.

Archived