Council tax and housing benefit idiots

(*Back in 2003) Before Capita changed its name from Liberata, I had problems with my claim for this property.

It took them from the beginning of May until the end of October to understand that I was still the same Mrs Talker, on the same benefits, and still entitled to the same level of housing benefit at this address as I was entitled to receive at the previous address. it caused no end of PITA trouble.

their LATEST pair of stunts were

a) to send the bailiffs to my property, about four weeks or so ago, for council tax I had allegedly not paid. It was just before the last bank holiday, so could not get an appointment at howden house to find out what the blue blazes was happening, when I knew I didn't owe a red cent.

It turned out that, after my benefits were wrongly stopped for four months last year thanks to the brain dead idiots at ATOS, some wally had switched my rent rebate claim back on, but failed to switch my (linked) Council Tax Rebate back on at the same time.

b) The other stunt they pulled at the same time as the bailiffs came, was to tell me, TWELVE STINKING DAYS INTO THE COUNCIL TAX YEAR(!!!) that I owed the full years' council tax, there and then, as I'd somehow defaulted on that, too.

I am, incidentally, convinced that part of the job descriptions for those processing these claims are that the applicants have to;

i) have one of two working speeds:- "stop" and "reverse" and

ii) to have an IQ slightly lower than that of a squirrel...

• 2 weeks later...

The benefits system is ran by a private firm... Capita

And yes, they are completely incompetent, they need auditing.

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 22:04 ----------

Has anyone else had the same problem when trying to sort things out with the council?

I made a change in circumstance back on 12th feb, firstly they sent all the letters to my old address despite already having sent me a council tax bill and the claim relating to my current address! They cancelled my claim as they had no heard back from me! Not surprising when I don't live there anymore. I called them and she said she would send the correspondence to the correct address which she did. I took all documents to first point got a letter three weeks later saying the claim was to be closed again of I did not send the documents I took them again and got a receipt this time. They still sent out letters saying this hadn't been received. I made an appointment to go to howden house as I have been on hold for nearly an hour with no answer. I went week before last and the manager tried to tell me that there were documents outstanding on my claim I showed her the receipts and she miraculously said she had found them on the system! Wtf! She said it would be sent for assessment so I told her I wanted an appointment the following Tuesday as I couldn't trust them to sort anything she told me this was silly and they had everything they required. I made the appointment anyway as they clearly can't be trusted, went down Tuesday she said they were still docs outstanding told her same showed receipts and she said that whoever was dealing with the claim wasn't looking at the file properly and she said they had my partner as being paye not self employed, that's why they were requesting the documents? She said at the end of the appointment that it would be sorted by Thursday at the latest so I've called this morning still not been assessed. To me this is not acceptable to make so many mistakes when you've had everything you need for four months now.

Get your landlord to serve you with an eviction notice if you want your claim prioritising.

The benefits system is ran by a private firm... Capita

And yes, they are completely incompetent, they need auditing.

---------- Post added 07-06-2013 at 22:04 ----------

Get your landlord to serve you with an eviction notice if you want your claim prioritising.

Along with Serco and G4S they are one of the bigger public sector outsourcing companies. They are not memorably named Crapita for no good reason.

Has anyone else had the same problem when trying to sort things out with the council?

I made a change in circumstance back on 12th feb, firstly they sent all the letters to my old address despite already having sent me a council tax bill and the claim relating to my current address! They cancelled my claim as they had no heard back from me! Not surprising when I don't live there anymore. I called them and she said she would send the correspondence to the correct address which she did. I took all documents to first point got a letter three weeks later saying the claim was to be closed again of I did not send the documents I took them again and got a receipt this time. They still sent out letters saying this hadn't been received. I made an appointment to go to howden house as I have been on hold for nearly an hour with no answer. I went week before last and the manager tried to tell me that there were documents outstanding on my claim I showed her the receipts and she miraculously said she had found them on the system! Wtf! She said it would be sent for assessment so I told her I wanted an appointment the following Tuesday as I couldn't trust them to sort anything she told me this was silly and they had everything they required. I made the appointment anyway as they clearly can't be trusted, went down Tuesday she said they were still docs outstanding told her same showed receipts and she said that whoever was dealing with the claim wasn't looking at the file properly and she said they had my partner as being paye not self employed, that's why they were requesting the documents? She said at the end of the appointment that it would be sorted by Thursday at the latest so I've called this morning still not been assessed. To me this is not acceptable to make so many mistakes when you've had everything you need for four months now.

This is why once anyone's claim is sorted, never sign off for temporary work, do cash in hand work only.

The housing association has already done this, they haven't really been helpful at all either I have always kept in contact regarding this and they are the ones who never call me back there as bad as the council to be fair!

The last response I have had from the council is that they do not give time frames out for responding to claims? So I said how long do I wait before I kick off or take it further till I'm living in a box!!!

Also I have recently received statement for my rent account and they made a payment in April despite them saying repeatedly that they hadn't had te documents! It really is a special type of incompetency!!!

Capita's share yields are up 46% in the last year. Great news for their shareholders, not great news for staff made redundant to maximise profits, and for people on the receiving end of a crap service as a result.

---------- Post added 10-06-2013 at 13:18 ----------

(*Back in 2003) Before Capita changed its name from Liberata, I had problems with my claim for this property.

They are separate, but equally useless, companies.

Archived