The game has changed.. is it dawning on people yet?

It's how a progressive tax system works. The idea is not for people to cover the costs of their services but for the tax system to operate optimally to generate revenues that cover expenditure. Many won't cover the costs of the services they use. Some will cover the costs of many people. In addition companies should pay tax.

That’s the idea but inevitably there are too few paying enough and not enough paying too much, hence the need to cut the cost of the services. Borrowing to pay for them will have short term gains but long term it is unsustainable and will lead to more problems than it solves. .

That’s the idea but inevitably there are too few paying enough and not enough paying too much, hence the need to cut the cost of the services. Borrowing to pay for them will have short term gains but long term it is unsustainable and will lead to more problems than it solves. .

You've got it totally the wrong way round. The little man pays his taxes, can't avoid them. Tens of billions goes uncollected every year from corporations and higher earners.

In part, we're borrowing to pay for the taxes that aren't collected.

You've got it totally the wrong way round. The little man pays his taxes, can't avoid them. Tens of billions goes uncollected every year from corporations and higher earners.

In part, we're borrowing to pay for the taxes that aren't collected.

If these tax’s are due and not collected then the fault lies with the tax man, we pay tax and employ them to provide a service which they must have failed to provide, sadly this is typical of the public sector.

I assume you never use the services of a company that in your opinion pays to little in the way of tax.

---------- Post added 25-05-2013 at 21:12 ----------

Why don't we spend according to the taxes that ARE collected?

Because that would make to much sence.

If these tax’s are due and not collected then the fault lies with the tax man, we pay tax and employ them to provide a service which they must have failed to provide, sadly this is typical of the public sector.

I assume you never use the services of a company that in your opinion pays to little in the way of tax.

I'm just pointing out that it seems insane to be talking about cutting services when the costs of the services could be met by more efficient tax collection.

I try to avoid using companies that aggressively avoid tax. Can't all the time of course but when I can.

---------- Post added 25-05-2013 at 21:22 ----------

Why don't we spend according to the taxes that ARE collected?

We should, over time. Governments rarely do. Just about every country has a national debt.

I'm just pointing out that it seems insane to be talking about cutting services when the costs of the services could be met by more efficient tax collection.

I try to avoid using companies that aggressively avoid tax. Can't all the time of course but when I can.

To me it seems more insane to spend money they didn't collect, and if tax was due why didn’t the tax office collect it?

---------- Post added 25-05-2013 at 21:34 ----------

We should, over time. Governments rarely do. Just about every country has a national debt.

Yep, many countries use the same ponzi system to run their countries, there are also some that have no national debts and live within their means.

To me it seems more insane to spend money they didn't collect, and if tax was due why didn’t the tax office collect it?

---------- Post added 25-05-2013 at 21:34 ----------

Yep, many countries use the same ponzi system to run their countries, there are also some that have no national debts and live within their means.

The reason it gets spent is because if it didn't services would collapse and people would start asking questions. We borrow to make up the difference.

I have the same questions about the taxation system. Why is there a gap of tens of billions between what is due and what actually gets legally collected?

The reason it gets spent is because if it didn't services would collapse and people would start asking questions. We borrow to make up the difference.

Clearly.

The population demands more than is affordable and government capitulates in order to remain electable..

Clearly.

The population demands more than is affordable and government capitulates in order to remain electable..

No, the population is demanding something that would be affordable if tax was collected more effectively.

---------- Post added 25-05-2013 at 22:08 ----------

Because some people don't want to pay as much as the government think they should?

Of course. It's more corporations than people who don't pay. Even amongst the wealthy the government occasionally offers up a sacrificial lamb to take the heat off the corporations. Jimmy Carr for example.

Archived